Weirdest problem ever: Internet not working when my POWER CABLE is plugged in!

This is the strangest problem I have ever encountered - I moved to a new house and there was a wireless there but since my wireless is not working I connected straigt into the router - now to the strange part

- if I have my power cable plugged in at the same time then my network connection says "network cable not connected" but when i unplug it then you can see the network connection acquiring for an ip address and it all works!

I did try to reinstall the drivers for the ethernet, I tried to repair the connection and get a new IP, tried two different network cables....nothing works.

HELP please!

Reply to
Magnus
Loading thread data ...

what OS - and computer ?

seems like when the power is plugged in, it might think it has some kind of "docking" profile and is looking to use the Ethernet cable connection vs the Wifi ?

Reply to
ps56k

You didn't give this information, but Ill assume your computer is a laptop, otherwise having the power cable unplugged doesn't make any sense.

I suspect a serious ground loop or some other major problem with the power in your house. It may be a problem with the battery charger/power supply for the laptop, but is more likely a house problem.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

What computer? What operating system? What program is telling you it's NOT connected?

My guess(tm) is that you have a Toshiba laptop using ConfigFree. You have the power management settings all screwed up so that it saves power when running off AC by turning OFF the wireless device. Check your power management settings in the control panel.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Toshiboa Satelitte Pro (an OLD one) - laptop.

Windows XP

When I look at the network connection I can see it is not connected or when I try a browser.

A few weeks ago I used the laptop at my old place and it worked fine. My wireless doesnt work at all so it is looking to use the ethernet cable. I also do have a 1394 connection which I dont even know what it is!

Thanks!

Reply to
Magnus

Duz it have a model number? Look at the serial number tag on the bottom. It will be something like A100-S1234.

With SP2 (service pack 2 or 3)? Right click on the "My Computah" icon and select Properties. The SP level is under the "System" section.

Fine. That means that one of the network connections is not making a successful connection. The first step is to determine WHICH connection is failing. Control Panel -> Network and look at the icons. You apparently have one for wireless, one for ethernet, and one for IEEE-1394 (firewire). Which one is complaining? I would not be suprised if applying power causes the network port to switch, especially with the ConfigFree software.

So, what changed? Any updates? New programs? Friends bearing CD's?

Let's see if I understand this. Your wireless should be working, but is now totally dead. So, you switch to the ethernet port, which subsequently proceeds to simulate a near death experience. I'm not sure what to suggest at this point.

IEEE-1394 is your firewire port, which can be used for networking. If you ever find other unfamiliar terms, I suggest you try a Google search.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's absolute nonsense.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.