Strange EIGRP/GRE issue !!

Hi,

My site has two routers on same public segment, share the same internet link. These 2 routers are part of the corporate vpn network and it's running gre tunnel, EIGRP is the routing protocol, both routers already installed vpn acclerator to enhance performance.

Internet | router A (F0/0) ---- Switch ---- router B (F0/0) | | LAN A LAN B

On these two routers, I've create a direct tunnel between them. When I do a ping test from router A external to router B external, the latency is less than 10ms cos they're under same public segment. However, when I do a ping test from router A to router B via gre tunnel, the latency is > 250ms. It's quite unresanable & unacceptable. Could anyone give me a clue why the gre tunnel performance is so bad while two routers are on same network ? Is there any parameter I missed?

Router A Tunnel 1 ip address unnumbered L0 tunnel source interface F0/0 bandwidth 64 delay 1700 ip eigrp 0 30 tunnel destination address 200.200.200.2

Router B Tunnel 1 ip address unnumbered L0 tunnel source interface F0/0 bandwidth 64 delay 1700 ip eigrp 0 30 tunnel destination address 200.200.200.1

Thanks....

Reply to
yepp
Loading thread data ...

The whole configuration of both routers would be helpful.

yepp schrieb:

Reply to
Helmut Ulrich

I'll get the router config and post it later. One other question: For a Cisco1721 w/vpn accelerator, if this configure 10 gre tunnels, is this router powerful enough ? will it cause any performance issue ? I raise up this issue cos I found that all the gre tunnels on this router are having latency issue.....

Pls advise.

Reply to
yepp

I'd suggest taking the hops one by one - send and return - and checking the routing table in each case. Remember that the tunnel will need two lookups - one pointing the router at the tunnel remote end and the other pointing the router itself at the tunnel endpoint once the packet has been encapsulated. Also the return journey will depend on the source address in each case. May be an asymmetry.

Reply to
James Harris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.