Still trying to understand how PIX replication works

I've got a pair of PIX 525s on active/standby. Recently, the primary one failed over to the secondary unit. I'm trying to understand what kind of state they're now in, especially the primary. The secondary unit now has the ip addresses from the primary unit and is handling traffic like you would expect. The primary unit seems to know what addresses it and the secondary are supposed to have now ("show fail"), But, if you do 'show interface', the interfaces all still show up with the original addresses (which are now being used by the secondary). I've connect to the console of both and both configs seem to be the same (all recent changes are on the primary, too). The primary PIX isn't reachable from the network any longer

- is this normal behavior for failover?

- if I try and make the primary active again, will this fix things?

Thanks!

Reply to
pfisterfarm
Loading thread data ...

Am Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:01:09 -0700 schrieb pfisterfarm:

look for pfsync and carp tutorials, it's the same technique

Reply to
Burkhard Ott

I've read a few things. Are there any that answer my questions?

- is what I've described the way things should be after failover, or am I having other problems?

- Should I try and switch back to the primary, or will that not work?

Thanks!

Reply to
pfisterfarm

Am Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:35:23 -0700 schrieb pfisterfarm:

cheers

Reply to
Burkhard Ott

Do a "show ver" and check the state. If you have an Unrestricted/Failover scenario, the normal active unit will list as "This PIX has an Unrestricted (UR) license." or similar. If the failover unit is active, it'll display "Failover license only" or similar. You can force the active back from failover by issuing a "conf t", then "no failover active". To force the failover PIX active, issue "conf t" followed by "failover active".

Reply to
fugettaboutit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.