ssh on pix 506e - login name

I'm setting up my pix to use ssh with putty as the client. I've enabled ssh on the pix for a range of IP's on the inside. The connection works but it prompts me with a "Login as:" prompt and nothing I've tried works. Normally, I just telnet to it and it asks for the password but no login. How do I determine what login I need to use or configure it to use a specific one?

TIA

Matt

Reply to
Matt Williamson
Loading thread data ...

The username is pix and it will only accept ssh 1. kinda goofy but better then nothing,

-ekn

Reply to
ekn

from Cisco docs

Configuring Local SSH (No AAA Authentication)

It is also possible to set up an SSH connection to the PIX with local authentication and no AAA server; however, there is no discrete per-user username. The username is always "pix."

Use the following commands to configure local SSH on the PIX:

hostname goss-d3-pix515b domain-name rtp.cisco.com ca gen rsa key 1024 !--- Caution: The RSA key will not be saved without !--- the ca save all command. !--- The write mem command will not save it! !--- In addition, if the PIX has undergone a write erase !--- or has been replaced, then cutting and pasting !--- the old configuration does not generate the key. !--- You must re-enter the ca gen rsa key command. !--- If there is a secondary PIX in a failover pair, doing write standby !--- will not copy the key from the primary to the secondary. !--- You must also generate and save the key on the secondary device. ssh 172.18.124.114 255.255.255.255 inside ssh timeout 60 passwd cisco123

Reply to
Merv

I always set up local AAA and use a "username/password" for SSH so each administrator has their own username.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

You can set up local accounts on the pix to have a username/password combo and not use the default "pix" username.

aaa-server LOCAL protocol local aaa authentication enable console LOCAL aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL username bob password jiggypuff privilege 15

Chris.

Reply to
chris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.