Jeff - is there any (clever?) way to easily measure decibels of a client bridge?

Jeff - is there any (clever?) way to easily measure decibels of a bridge? I think only you might know any answer to this question on Android or Win10.

I have all the Android tools to measure signal strength of an access point. But they don't seem to display the signal strength of the bridge itself.

The client bridge was set up earlier this week using this procedure.

formatting link

Sitting at the computer (with the client bridge sitting on top of that desktop) and logging into the Linksys DD-WRT interface shows the Netgear home router signal is being received by the Linksys WRT56Gv8.1 at around

-50dBm with the displayed "Signal Quality" graph coming out at around 65%.

But how can I _measure_ (easily) the signal the other way around?

Is there an Android or Netgear or Windows tool to measure signal quality of the Linksys client bridge back at the Netgear WNDR3400v2 home router?

The Netgear Advanced > Administration > Attached Devices doesn't even show the client bridge. All it shows is the IP (and what I presume is the MAC address) of the Win10 desktop which is attached to the client bridge.

But what Android or Windows tools tell us the strength of the client bridge?

Reply to
Jerry
Loading thread data ...

Decibels is a ratio. My guess(tm) is what you want is transmit power output in dBm (decibels referenced to 1 milliwatt).

Yawn. SSH or telnet to the bridge IP using the the command line interface (CLI). The wl command should be available:

formatting link
Try: wl cmds ws assoc or wl status wl rssi wl noise wl channel_qa and wl channel_qa_start

I think I have a sniffer program for Android that will display signal level, SNR, data rate, etc in both directions by sniffing the traffic. Later. I gotta sweep the roof, cover the wood piles, move the generator, and clean up the mess before it drizzles.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 12:58:11 -0700, Jerry snipped-for-privacy@JerryThinks.com wrote: (...)

Also, cease name changing or this will be the last reply you'll get from me. Pick one name and stay with it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Luckily the dd-wrt firmware provides what it thinks is the transmit power of the Linksys WRT54Gv8.1 wireless client bridge at ddt-wrt:Status > Wireless > Wireless > Wireless Status > TX Power = 70mW, Rate = 26Mbps

Given this conversion math, would you say the transmit is about -18dBm? dBm = 10log(mW) = 10log(70) = 18.45 dBm

I had to turn on Remote Access at Administration > Management > Remote Access > Telnet Management = Enable (it was disabled by default) Telnet Remote Port = 23

It took me a while to figure out _not_ to use the admin login and password. Instead, the default _root_ login & password are used when telneting. C:\> telnet 192.168.1.200 dd-wrt login: root Password: ========================================================== ____ ___ __ ______ _____ ____ _ _ | _ \| _ \ \ \ / / _ \_ _| __ _|___ \| || | || | || ||____\ \ /\ / /| |_) || | \ \ / / __) | || |_ ||_| ||_||_____\ V V / | _ < | | \ V / / __/|__ _| |___/|___/ \_/\_/ |_| \_\|_| \_/ |_____| |_| DD-WRT v24

formatting link
========================================================== BusyBox v1.9.1 (2008-03-19 20:24:03 CET) built-in shell (ash) Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands. \u@\h:\w\$

\u@\h:\w\$ wl cmds \u@\h:\w\$ ws assoc -sh: ws: not found \u@\h:\w\$ wl status SSID: "NETGEAR200" Mode: Managed RSSI: -84 dBm noise: -92 dBm Channel: 3 BSSID: 8C:3B:AD:A6:B2:55 Capability: ESS WEP Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ] \u@\h:\w\$ wl rssi -82 \u@\h:\w\$ wl noise -92 \u@\h:\w\$ wl channel_qa \u@\h:\w\$ wl channel_qa_start \u@\h:\w\$ help

The Android sniffer needs to sniff things that aren't set up as an access point but as a bridge, which is why the three sniffers I tried didn't show the wireless client bridge traffic - those Android sniffers only showed the APs of the Netgear home router (AFAICT).

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

I hear it's windy up your way.

Reply to
Jerry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.