Using SSH to connect to a Catalyst 1900 switch

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to connect to my Catalyst 1900 switch using SSH? I can connect without problem to the console using a rollover cable in my PCs COM port but I'd also like to connect via the switches IP address. I can't find any documentation on how to set a password for an SSH (or Telnet) session in the switches configuration & when I try to connect using puTTY I get the message "Network error: Connection refused"? I'm starting to think that maybe the 1900 can't accept SSH or Telnet connections but I doubt this very much.

TIA, Jason.

Reply to
Jason
Loading thread data ...

This should help:

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

conf t line vty 0 4 login password cisco wri mem

That will get you telnet access, as far as SSH I beleive you have to have a certain IOS train to use SSH.

You do have an IP address on the switch already, correct? Can you ping the address?

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

Chuck it out, and buy a switch that hasn't been EOL'd since almost before ssh existed (exagerating here)? The generation after this one didn't support SSH either..

You can telnet to it when you configure remote access in the menus. Read up on the docs here.

Network Management Menu->IP Configuration Menu Setup your IP address and password.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Chad Mahoney wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

I have now successfuly connected via Telnet so thanks very much.

Reply to
Jason

Doug McIntyre wrote in news:473c8c71$0$90430$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

Yeah I'm starting to gather that. I'm studying for my CCNA & I inherited the lab I'm using from a friend who did his CCNA a few years ago. Much of the syntax also differs quite a lot from the Catalyst 2960 that my study book uses to give examples, which is quite frustrating; can you recommend something more modern that I might be able to pick up on eBay fairly cheaply?

Thanks, Jase

Reply to
Jason

Nobody is going to test on a 1900/2800. They are just too old, and have fallen way off the radar for anybody.

A WS-C2950-xx is extremly close to the 2960 in features and configuration. Its only been EOL'd fairly recent (announcement for the general line on Oct 22, 2007), so it hasn't gone down in cost too much on eBay, but what are you talking about fairly cheap? A WS-C2950-24 is going for $230 buy-it-now on eBay. Several auctions start in the $30 range, but I suspect the 24 ports get up closer to higher $1xx range. I saw some of the 12-porters going for $105/$107 auction wins.

For a CCNA lab, I'd pick up a WS-C2950-12, which will be close enough to the 2960 in the book for all purposes. You can figure out the rest from here I'm sure.

The generation after the 1900/2800 is the 29xx goes for cheaper, but the differences will be greater (not quite as great as the 1900/2800 though). They go for $50 (WS-C2924XL-EN-24). For the extra $50, I'd get the 2950 for your lab work. It'll be alot closer to what you'll be tested on.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Because I am not very conversant with the Catalysts, what are the major differences between the 2950-24 and the 2950-24XL?

Regards, N.Fotis

Reply to
Nick Fotis

2800 fallen off the radar?

The 1900/2500 lab bundles maybe.

Replaced by the 2900/2600 combo.

Today the 2950 or 2960 and 1841 or 2811 are the go, althought later 2600s are still very useful fro CCNA study.

Aubrey

Reply to
Aubrey Adams

We're talking switch models. The Catalyst 2800 has fallen off the radar..

(ie. first generation Cisco switches after they bought Grand Junction).

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Fair nuff - I was only thinking of gear from this century :-)

The EoL notice -

With the introduction of the Catalyst® 1900 and 2820 Series switches, the Catalyst 1700, 2100 and 2800 switches will no longer be offered by Cisco Systems®. The following is a summary of the obsolete products and their replacement products: End-of-Sale: December 31, 1996 Last Ship Date: January 31, 1997 Last Date of Support: November 19, 2001

Aubrey

Reply to
Aubrey Adams

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.