splitting ATM PVC between different routers

Bear with me and see if this makes sense. I have an ATM OC3 port adapter interface on a 6509. I have two PVCs off this OC3. It's Verizon ATM service. I provide connectivity to two separate locations through this interface. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way for me to somehow extend one of the PVCs to another router, a 7507 ( have ATM interfaces for it), in particular. I need to keep the one PVC homed off the 6509, but I need the other PVC somehow extended to the 7507 because it needs to be behind a different security enclave and subject to different security policy. I just don't have the ATM experience/knowledge to know exactly if/how this can be done. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Steve =

Reply to
Cleetus Awreetus
Loading thread data ...

You should be able to terminate the PVC on the 6509 using an sub-interfaces something like: int ATM x/0/0 no ip address logging event subif-link-status

interface ATM x/0/0.10 point-to-point description PVC #1 bandwidth xxx ip address pvc PVC_1 1/10 protocol ip x.x.x.x broadcast vbr-nrt 1536 1536 1 encapsulation aal5snap

interface ATM x/0/0.20 point-to-point description PVC #2 bandwidth ip address pvc PVC_2 1/20 protocol ip y.y.y.y broadcast vbr-nrt 1536 1536 1 encapsulation aal5snap

You coul then route the other groups traffic thru the second PVC.

If they want to secure the traffic they they could use GRE& IPSEC to tunnel their traffic

Reply to
Merv

These two PVCs are already in production and they're terminated with the sub-interfaces just like you've described. Take PVC #2 for example. I need to somehow extend that PVC so it terminates on another router.

S

Reply to
Cleetus Awreetus

You need an ATM switch, like the LS1010 or 8510 inserted ahead of the

6509. One with at least 3 OC3c ports. One for the inbound, two for the outbound.

You map the one PVC to go out one interface, and the other to go out the other interface in the switch. No problem.

Cost may be an issue that will make you rethink your desire to do this. You won't be able to do it with the gear you have now.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Discuss your issue with your carrier to see what solutions they can suggest.

Also discuss the approach of you just routing the traffic from 7507 ( without using theri ATM interfaces) to the second PVC. As I indicated earlier they could create a secure tunnel and have it transported over your infrastructure.

Reply to
Merv

Ah, I have an old 5513 with a ls1010 with adequate atm interfaces that's not doing anything. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Steve

Doug Mc> >Bear with me and see if this makes sense. I have an ATM OC3 port adapter

Reply to
awrightus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.