Basic ATM Config

I recently encountered a FULL SBC point to point DS-3 using a NM-1A-T3 module. I was told to just configure similar to a point to point T1 default hdlc?

Chuckie

Reply to
Charles U Farley
Loading thread data ...

What's on the other side? Is the other side ready to take ATM? Is the other end saying that they want to do PtP DS3 with HDLC?

If so, you probably have the wrong interface, the NM-1A-T3 can *only* do ATM, and you have to match the other end with ATM as well. Did you mean to get the NM-1T3/E3 card instead?

Basicly, you'll need to match the other side and what they are doing. HDLC usually doesn't come up in the discussion in the same mix as ATM?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Sorry, about that. They are handed off via Coax same on both sides. THe module I have is correct, I'm just not sure about the configuration settings. Since they're no pvc settings, how to I apply an encapsulation?

Reply to
Charles U Farley

You have to have a PVC on an ATM circuit. There is no other way to do it?? Ie. both sides make up a PVC to use, and then you configure whatever you want on the interface under that PVC. Ie. I usually start up at 10/32 for private ATM interlinks, but its totally up to you, again you need to match what is done on the other side.

Again, are you sure you need the ATM card and not the clear-channel card?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Did SBC specifically tell you HDLC encapsulation? As Doug mentioned, if they're using HDLC then you've got the wrong card, and its not even an ATM line. HDLC is not an ATM encapsulation - its PTP only (which the card you're running will not do, it ONLY does ATM). ATM circuits require an ATM encapsulation - and SBC usually defaults to AAL5snap (but you must configure a VC for this to be done).

Are you absolutely sure there is no VC? Even with only one path on the DS3, SBC will still generally assign a VC. In fact, in 7+ years working with ATM, I've never seen an ATM line without a VC although I guess it could be done (I've honestly never tried). SBC will usually even assign a VC for DIA lines for the Internet.

If they're in fact using Cisco equipment, and its just HDLC encapsulation then you don't have an ATM line, and require a regular T1 card as Doug mentioned.

Here are a few things that can prevent an ATM circuit from coming up: cell-payload scrambling mismatch (configured on one end and not the other) encapsulation mismatch OAM mismatch (if OAM is configured on one end but not the other) PVC/SVC misconfiguration

Of course there are many more things it could be, but these are common things I find when people are bringing circuits up with SBC.

Ryan

Reply to
rdymek

No they, SBC Rep., did not specify anything. I received no paper work for it which is why I'm asking questions. When I contacted the sales rep. to get the paperwork he stated "There isn't any, it's just a large "pipe", there's no pvc's involved (head-scratch).

Reply to
Charles U Farley

Hi,

So you bought an point-to-point DS3, just clear line. you can use your card, and define all the vc's yourselve. Normally when people buy a clear ptp DS3 (or E3) they use a Serial card on both sites, it gives your more bandwidth since ATM has a little overhead.

Make sure what you bought from SBC.

:)

Hans

Reply to
Hans

Just a followup. Thanks for the three of you who responded. Everything is running fine. I was just a little confused about what to use as the PVC so I made one up as you guys suggested.

Chuck

Reply to
Charles U Farley

If you have any more problems with your ISP, feel free to contact me at snipped-for-privacy@xo.com - I can provide you a better service while saving you some money at the same time.

"XO=AE has a wealth of network assets that ensure we can handle your current needs and that we're well positioned for the convergence of voice and data IP services. XO has an OC-192 IP backbone with OC-12 uplinks in our markets and data centers; that means we have one of the highest capacity and scalable IP backbones in the industry, along with the highest levels of performance and reliability. A suite of world-class tools that facilitate the communication of customer information and continuous network monitoring set the XO network apart from its rivals."

Reply to
Jimbo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.