Spec'ing routers: 1721 vs 831

Hello:

I am trying to determine which routers to purchase for a small branch office deployment. Any suggestions very welcome.

Basically, we have a central office with no more than 50 employees. We then will have four branch offices with no more than 20 employees each. We want to connect evertying over a VPN. The connections to the Internet would vary (DSL, ISDN, and T1) but would terminate on separate devices so that the Cisco router would only need Ethernet interfaces.

Will 831s work for this? Does a 1721 add anything to the mix?

Does anything change if the number of employees bumps up to 100 at central and the number of sites goes to 10?

Finally, what if we also want to terminate roaming laptop client VPN connections as well?

TIA

Reply to
Liz Eriksen
Loading thread data ...

it isnt so much the employee numbers as the WAN link speeds, traffic levels and the number of connections to other sites that dictate the router.

The connections to the Internet would vary

i prefer to have an interface in the router - esp. with interfaces that the router may need to control like ISDN (where a mistake can generate lots of calls and call charges).

generally, the routers you suggest are still available, but are old models and likely to get phased out soon. use the newer ISR range - they have built in encryption hardware.

formatting link

87x are the small ones (equiv to the 831, but faster).

if you want higher throughput then the 1801 has ADSL and 2 ethernets, but there are others in the 180x range that may be better - note that you get extra interfaces such as ADSL, but the box is cheaper than a more flexible unit with only ethernet ports

assuming that the traffic pattern is star based, (unless you are planning to use IP telephony between branches) then you need a bigger box at the central site.

you need to pick the software options that give you support for the encryption, firewalling etc you need - and since this can be 30% or more of the cost you need to get it right.

831s may be enough for the small sites, but i would use 871. 1811 or 1812 or something bigger will be needed for the central site. the box depends on the bandwidth

you can do this on a router, but i prefer the VPN servers, since they are easier to use with VPN clients, and minimising the client issues is what makes a VPN less difficult.

Reply to
stephen

Hi Liz,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Product Advisor:

formatting link
as well as the Cisco Solution Designer:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA/Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.