changing pix internal address

Im a complete newby at this PIX business, but understand generic routing etc from a linux view.

I want to change the internal ip address of my pix, moving the subnet it is on, due to a problem where clients VPN in and have the same subnet in their office as we have here (ie.. 192.168.1.x) which causes problems.

I want to reconfigure the pix to be on (eg) 192.168.41.x but not cause an excessive outage.

can I bind two addresses to the pix internal interface as an intrim step? Then adjust the route tables etc to point to the new subnet, then remove the 192.168.1.x subnet from the equation

any detailed thoughts on doing this much appreciated.

Reply to
brian
Loading thread data ...

oh yeah, its a Pix 506e

:^)

Reply to
brian

In article , brian wrote: [PIX 506e]

:I want to change the internal ip address of my pix, moving the subnet it :is on, due to a problem where clients VPN in and have the same subnet in :their office as we have here (ie.. 192.168.1.x) which causes problems.

Just so you know: there are ways around that problem using NAT. Not exactly "trivial ways", but it can be done.

:I want to reconfigure the pix to be on (eg) 192.168.41.x but not cause :an excessive outage.

:can I bind two addresses to the pix internal interface as an intrim :step?

No.

If you have a LAN router with 802.1Q capabilities, you could configure a "logical interface" on the PIX 506E inside interface, which would have much the same effect. But you still have a transitional mess where you have to copy the inside ACL and apply the new copy to the new inner interface, and you have to modify the two ACLs so the two subnets know how to talk to each other, and you have to play games with static or nat0 so the two subnets can initiate connections to each other...

Really, if you already have a LAN router, it's easier to toss on a secondary IP on it, add some NAT at the router level so that the old IPs come out in the new IP space, write the PIX configuration to a tftp server, global search and replace to create a version reflecting the new IP space, clear the PIX config and load it from the modified version on the tftp server.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

thanks Walter, I have rewritten the config file to reflect what I feel the configuration should look like. I cant just ditch the .1 subnet, I got printers workstations, other routers and servers stuck in there.

its looking like another saturday lost to IT and legacies.

regards

b

-----Original Message ----- From: Walter Roberson Sent: 11/10/2005 10:15 AM

Reply to
brian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.