Some one please help to find MACs versus Ports on Catalyst swicths

Hello Gurus I have no practical knowledge on Cisco stuff excpet for few commands Here is the situation I have 2000 plus machines connected to various catalyst switches. All these swithces are uplinked to our building router Building route is uplink to campus router and then goes to internet or where ever. In all this, I have minimum access right to those swicthes to whom my machiens are connected, I even don't know where the building router is

Also we have 8 VLANs spread accross my switcehs

Soo, I was wondering what commands I need to find out which MAC adress is connected to what port on the switch

I have been searching for this ofr over 3 months but nothing solid answer For example SH CAM DYN, returns me some bunch of address on 3/33, and when I look at port 3/33, it is a uplink, off course I can understand what does that mean Some one suggesting Sh Mac-address-table, BUT that command is not valid on my switches

Hope fully you gurus can undertand my question and let me how do I find the solution

10x a lot for your considerations
Reply to
mtsint
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate How to find/display your MAC Address:

formatting link
as well as Vendor/Ethernet MAC Address Lookup and Search:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco Tools

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

If I'm reading your post correctly, you are doing the correct command. The Uplink will always show ALL macs within that respective switch it's connected to. So what you'll have to do is:

VLAN Dest MAC/Route Des [CoS] Destination Ports or VCs / [Protocol Type] 50 00-0c-6c-59-6c-3d 5/3 [ALL]

run the sh cam dyn (replace the with the vlan number>

command... - you will get the MACs on a per vlan mod/port basis. - as you see above it tells you the port, vlan and mac address associated with that port.

For ports that show multiple macs (uplinks): you will have to use the "sh cdp nei detail" command. - Find the switch associated with the uplink port - Telnet to that switch and run the same commands.

If you are using switches with the newer os (router like OS) you will run the "sh mac-address-table" or "sh mac-address-table " you can also use the "|" (pipe) command with "incl, excl, begin" expressions to narrow down exactly what you're looking for.

ie.... sh mac-address-table | include

Hopefully this helps.... Good luck

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
garrisb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.