Simple Cisco 1841 router configuration has bad latency on one side.

I don't know much about routers but we have one setup to bridge two subnets. Our office side is at 172.16.1.1 and our test area is at

172.56.0.1. If I ping the router on our side at 172.16.1.1 it's almost 100%
Reply to
r123
Loading thread data ...

I don't know much about routers but we have one setup to bridge two subnets. Our office side is at 172.16.1.1 and our test area is at

172.56.0.1. If I ping the router on our side at 172.16.1.1 it's almost 100%
Reply to
r123

The first thing I would check would be the router interface connecting to the test area. Look for any errors that are incrementing. If the router interface is connected to a switch, I would also check the switch interface. The fact that the response times vary makes me think that there's high CPU utilization or a similar type issue.

Reply to
dtpike

Hey, thanks for the info. Now even if I just have a test computer plugged directly into the router on the test area side we still have the connectivity and ping issues. So I'd be looking in the router for these errors or in the HP pro curve switch the on our office side that the router connect to? As there looks to be no issues on the office side of things.

Reply to
r123

Hey, thanks for the info. Now even if I just have a test computer plugged directly into the router on the test area side we still have the connectivity and ping issues. So I'd be looking in the router for these errors or in the HP pro curve switch that's on our office side and that the router connects to? As there looks to be no issues on the office side of things.

Reply to
r123

Can you log into the router and do a show interface and post the results? The command should be "show int fast 0/x" and you should just need to replace the x with the actual interface number.

Reply to
dtpike

Thanks again for the reply. I was able to (kinda) fix the problem by adding a route to my PC that sends anything going to the 172.56.0.0 subnet to our side of the test area router.

route add 172.56.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 172.16.1.1

Circumventing our main office router seemed to do the trick. I don't know if it's because of a configuration issue or the fact that our main router is too overloaded to handle the extra traffic going to the test area. Is there a proper way to setup our main router that should handle this reroute to the test area router with no problems?

Reply to
r123

It 'sounds' like your main router, which has suddenly popped it's head into the equation, needs a route to the 172.56.0.0 network and to be configured to send ip redirects on the internal lan interface, i.e.

! interface ip address 172.16.x.x 255.255.x.x ip redirects ! ip route 172.56.0.0 255.255.0.0 172.16.1.1 !

IP redirects on the interface may be the default.

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.