FTP port open on Cisco 1841

Hello,

I've got a brand new Cisco 1841 router for our SHDSL leased line, basic configured with nothing currently running behind it. Now I wanted to see what nmap (a unix scanning port tool) detects and surprisingly it detects that port 21 (FTP) is open as you can see here below:

% sudo nmap

Starting nmap 3.81 (

formatting link
) at 2006-04-11 23:35 CEST Interesting ports on (): (The 1662 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed) PORT STATE SERVICE

21/tcp open ftp

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 11.328 seconds

Somehow port 21 on our router's IP adresse answers but is not functional (no FTP service). Now haven't seen any FTP service in the router's configuration itself, I am wondering from where does this come and why is that ??? And how can I disable this without configuring an ACL ?

Many thanks

Regards

Reply to
syn_NOSPAM_uw
Loading thread data ...

what does "show ip sockets" display ?

Reply to
Merv

Here is the output of "show ip sockets":

router#show ip sockets Proto Remote Port Local Port In Out Stat TTY OutputIF 17 0.0.0.0 0 67 0 0 2211 0 17 --listen-- --any-- 123 0 0 1 0

Reply to
syn_NOSPAM_uw

since this will be an Internet facing router, i would suggest that you implment the IOS firewall feature.

see

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.