Cisco 1841 Router

I'm really new with working with Cisco Routers, but have a question I hope someone will be able to help me with. I have a Cisco 1841 Router with VWIC MFT-T1 that supports up to two T1 lines but I will only be running one to the router. I have spent 20 something hours researching and trying to figure out how to configure it. Of course I can do most of it in SDM but my problem comes with configuring it for the public IP addresses (There will be 5 public IP's), I have tried setting up a Multilink1 but unsuccessful (can't get internet connection and tells me my MultiLink is down, but I only have 1 T1 running to it, but unsure if I need the Multilink because there will be only one T1 running to it), if anyone has any commands that I can enter to configure it that would be great or lead me somewhere in the right direction.

Reply to
Mack
Loading thread data ...

You should use a multilink interface to "bond" several physical links. Since you are only going to use a single T1, this is not your solution.

When you say "There will be 5 public IP's" what exactly do you mean? Have you been given 5 IP's to use from an ISP? If so, the ISP has probably assigned you a /29 address range. This would provide for 6 usable addresses, one of which the ISP would use for their end of the point-to-point T1.

The interface you are using will present itself as "controller x/y" This is your "physical" interface - where you'll need to configure line coding, framing and the timeslots you want to use.

Here's an EXAMPLE of the controller: controller T1 0/1 framing esf linecode b8zs channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

When you enter the last line of this, a Serial interface will be created.

Here's an EXAMPLE of what the Serial interface might look like. interface Serial0/1:0 ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.248 encapsulation ppp

If you have the everything correct, you'll get something like: Serial0/1:0 is up, line protocol is up

The first "up" would indicate you have the controller configured correctly, The second "up" indicates you have the correct encapsulation.

You'll probably need a static route to forward traffic to the internet. There's two common types of static routes - either will work for you. Here's the EXAMPLEs ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ! -- this will be IP address of your ISP's router. - or - ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial0/1:0

post your config when you get it close - we may be able to help further. Be SURE to mask the IP addresses and any passwords.

Good luck JC

Reply to
J.Cottingim

Thanks for your help! This might be a stupid question but how do I delete the MultiLink1? And once I about get it configured what command do I enter to show the config to post? Thanks again!

Reply to
Mack

There's no such thing as a stupid question... in configuration mode: no interface mu1

Reply to
J.Cottingim

show running-config

will output your current config to the console

Reply to
ScottyC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.