serial cable

Hi, If you have two routers with db60 serial, and you put a v.35 dce cable in one, and a v.35 dte cable in the other, do you then just connect the two v.35 connectors together, or do you have to put something in between them (like something that makes the whole thing a "null" cable ?

dik

Reply to
Richard Sole
Loading thread data ...

Yup. remember to config the router with the DCE cable to povide clocks.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

If you have one cable to connect routers back-to-back, you don't have to put anything between. One router, where you have DCE end of cable connected, should provide clocking for the serial link. If you not sure, which end is which, check the output of the "show controller serial X/X" command on both routers. One end should say DTE, and another DCE. Then issue "clock rate XXXXX" on the DCE end.

Good luck,

Mike

------ Cisco IP Phone Headset Adapters

formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Thanks... the reason I dont want a single (crossover) cable, as the one you refer to, is that I see it as a learning exercise (I am doing CCNA), and I was opting for the more "realistic" option, with real cables that could (but won't) be plugged into some real DCE. So you just plug the two V.35 ends together (I am assuming one is male and one is female), is that correct ? (I haven't bought any cables yet)

dik

Reply to
Richard Sole

DQo+IFNvIHlvdSBqdXN0IHBsdWcgdGhlIHR3byBWLjM1IGVuZHMgdG9nZXRoZXIgKEkgYW0gYXNz dW1pbmcgb25lIGlzIG1hbGUNCj4gYW5kIG9uZSBpcyBmZW1hbGUpLCBpcyB0aGF0IGNvcnJlY3Qg Pw0KDQpZZXMsIGl0IGlzIHNvLg0KDQotLQ0KICAgIFpieS4=

Reply to
Zbigniew 'Zby.'

Thanks, I have one follow-up question: When, in your lab, you connect a DTE and a DCE cable together, does it matter what cables you use, e.g. will two X.21 or two EIA/TIA-449 (or 232) or two EIA-530 work just as well as the two V.35, and will you have to configure differently depending on which you use ? I believe the 232 is asynchronous, presumably you will have to set something to "async" in IOS ?

dik

Reply to
Richard Sole

Hi,

Simple put... different serial cables give you possibly different "speeds". e.g. With a V.24 you could have 768Kbps synch while with a V.35 you could have 8Mbps synch.

You can even use the console cable to interconnect two routers using AUX ports ( up to 128Kbps )

Regards, Gabriele

"Richard Sole" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Richard,

In "real life" you never configure DTE/DCE modems. In most cases you have preconfigured unit, you connect to the router by DB-60 V.35 cable. Or, with new network modules, you just plug RJ-48 (same size as RJ-45 cable) into your router. So, connecting routers back-to-back by DTE-DCE cable or by T1 cross-over cable IS a "real life" unless you work for ISP as Telco technician.

Theoretically, if you want to spend an extra couple hundreds dollars, you can get DTE/DCE modems, but all you will get is a couple "black boxes" to simulate exactly the same scenario as you have with single back-to-back cable. Plus, for CCNA, CCNP or even CCIE, it does not matter, *how* physically devices are connected. The matter is that devices ARE connected.

Good luck,

Mike

------ Cisco IP Phone Headset Adapters

formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Reply to
dappygee

Thanks for a very useful reply. I wasn't sure how much I should get into the "look and feel" of various connectors, but I suppose talking about them here gives a better perspective than just reading the book. On your advice, I will just get whatever is the cheapest on the day.

dik

Reply to
Richard Sole

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.