sdm and 1811

the latest ms security patch seems to have killed the use of sum. v2.3.1

what is the latest version that I can download and work with the ms patches..

also what are the wimp firewall opening /setting required for running SDM? what about internet explorer settings? what version of java is required? is

1.4_2 OK
Reply to
gg
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
camocas

I guess that will get around that but that will also add security holes. Furthermore I am not all well connected in terms of when to apply security patch to firefox..

Is there not an version of or equivalent SDM that uses JDK/JRE 1.4x or later without the explorer itself?

The reason I don't want 1.3x or earlier because I was told there are vulnerability of having them on the system

Reply to
gg

You could always use the stand-alone version of SDM that can be installed on & run off of your PC.

If you're wanting to stay up with the latest Java then you better hop on over to Sun's web site and download the v5.0 JRE. Or if you are feeling brave, v6.0 Beta 2 is available as well.

Reply to
gray.wizard

There's a version of SDM that you can install on a Windows system, which can be downloaded here:

formatting link
The following has a general overview of SDM, including a platform/IOS support matrix:

formatting link

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

Just surf to

formatting link
and download SDM v2.31. When you install it the installer will ask if you wish to install SDM on the router, the PC, or both.

Reply to
gray.wizard

The newer releases of FireFox (last 6 months or so) include the auto-updating ability in the browser itself. It will take care of it for you.

As far as JVM support goes I have been running v1.5 for well over a year without any problems. I'm running 1.5.0_06-b05 on this laptop right now.

J

gg wrote:

Reply to
J

thx, nice to know that firefox has self updating capability.

Are you saying I should run SDM v2.3.1 with jdk 1.5 on firefox or as standalone?

I would really like to run some Cisco software that can use java to run something like sdm as standalone application without the use of any web browser (firefox , IE or whatever). That is one thing less to worry about ( firefox or windows update) I have to update JDK eventually anyway

if I remember correctly one can compile java program to run as application as well as part of browser control

Reply to
gg

I already got sdm v2.31 installed on pc that is connected to the 1811 via serial port and also via network. The Cisco 1811 is connected to an external internet IP, say, 1.1.1.115

when I tried to use sdm to connect to 1.1.1.115, I had to click quite a few blocked active x/content. . None the less , at the end , the page display file:///C:/Program%20Files/CscSDM/common/common/error.html?APP= Startup Error has not been granted with the necessary privileges in order to startup successfully, or another unknown error occurred during startup.Please close all involved browser windows and try again by granting all requested privileges.

-------- so what does the message really mean? Java permission or firewall, or internet zone, URL..?

Reply to
gg

So you are trying to connect to the 1811 through the external IP address? Unless the router has been configured to allow remote management that is not going to work. You are going to have to connect to it via its internal LAN IP address (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, etc.) at least once to configure the router to allow remote management through the WAN.

Unless I am misunderstanding you....

Reply to
gray.wizard

I knew someone has done some configuration remotely on the unit via the external ip of 1.1.1.115 (not real). He was supposed to email me a log of what he has done but I got nothing.

So I am guessing he used the standard default port

I would have tried direct connect internally but no standalone PC are avail that I can attach to the unit and still allow me remote control the PC. I guess I just have to do some extra travel to site.

Or you or some can kindly show me how to change via console command to secure the unit _ right now I don't think it is fully secured even thought the default user and password has been demoted to view only when accessed remotely allow remote config

Reply to
gg

If you are in the same location as the unit you have two options. The console cable and the web interface (provided it hasn't been turned off)

Just open your web browser and try to surf to the internal IP address of the router & see what happens.

I don't know much about configuring a cisco router for remote management as I have never had the need to do it myself.

You should delete the default user and password. No sense letting a would-be hacker viewing your config at all.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Make sure you create a new user with level 15 access before deleting the Cisco/Cisco default user or Bad Things Will Happen.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.