cisco router vs firewall

I just got an upgrade for my cable broadband with a static IP address from Comcast. Belatedly I found out that they turn the firewall on their router off. I do have a ZoneAlarm which seems to be doing a good job but people in the know do recommend a hardware firewall installed too. I called Comcast and they recommended not to assign the static IP address to the computer but instead to a router which will be put in between the modem and the machine. I have had such configurations before. A few months ago I got rid of three Linksys and Dlink routers I accumulated over the years since I thought that I would never need them again once I got a professional broadband with modem/router built in. Now I am facing a few choices.

I can buy another Linksys router but in the past I came to mistrust them badly.

I can buy a brand new Cisco, perhaps 3800 series but they are quite expensive and offer much more than I need in terms of LAN capabilities.

I do have two workstations with Win2K at two different locations with two computers at each one. I am using DELL Gigabit switches for the LANs. I have some peripherals and I am planning to set up VPN and I need a full capability VoIP solution. I want a remote management too. I do use Vonage telephones (VoIP) at both locations.

I can purchase an old Cisco at eBay, perhaps 2600 series but they are outdated, frequently lack documentation and do not offer modern capabilities.

I feel that I should not spend more than $600-800.

I am thinking of purchasing a Cisco firewall as a stand alone product. They run in a few hundred dollars. One option is a Cisco PIX 506E Firewall used. Any other suggestions?

My question is: will a Cisco firewall work with a non-Cisco modem (Comcast)? What will be disadvantages of using it?

Thanks.

Reply to
ALEXB
Loading thread data ...

Not very funny. Please, someone else answer this question for me:

Reply to
ALEXB

Reply to
X--Eliminator

And answering this question will help people pass a cisco cetification exam. How? You have the wrong newsgroup!!!

Toby

Reply to
toby

I think m0nowall just fits your needs... but .... :-)

URL at

formatting link
I am using it for a long time and it is largely doing what I need.

This is as cheap as a Pentium2/64 with a cdrom (2x, or 4x is enough), no HD but a floppy driver.

Dima

[...]

Reply to
Dimitri Petrovich

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.