Do P2P programs need access as server?

I use Sygate and if I grant Sygate permission to let a particular program through (such as Firefox) then Sygate automatically gives the program server rights too - whether such rights are needed or not.

In general, do P2P programs for file sharing such as BitTorrent need to act as a server through my Sygate firewall.

Thank you.

Lem

-------

PS: It's hard to do a simple test as I have heard that BitTorrent programs can be a bit tempremental about going through any personal firewall at all!

Reply to
Lem
Loading thread data ...

I use Sygate and if I grant Sygate permission to let a particular program through (such as Firefox) then Sygate automatically gives the program server rights too - whether such rights are needed or not.

In general, do P2P programs for file sharing such as BitTorrent need to act as a server through my Sygate firewall.

Thank you.

Lem

-------

PS: It's hard to do a simple test as I have heard that BitTorrent programs can be a bit tempremental about going through any personal firewall at all!

Reply to
Lem

Yes. What do you think P2P stands for, after all?

With P2P, your machine is both client (leeching MP3z from other machines) and server (offering those parts of songs that you already downloaded to everybody else so that the load is shared evenly among all other participants.

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.