HSRP monitor several interfaces switching to standby on failure of any active interface

Hello, I need some hint I have 2 C26xx running IOS 12.1 with several interfaces which I want to setup in a failover configuration with HSRP

The idea is to switch to the backup router if any of the interfaces goes down

On main router :

interface f0/0 ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 standby 1 ip 10.0.0.1 standby 1 preempt standby track f0/1

interface f0/1 ip address 172.16.0.2 255.255.255.0 standby 2 ip 172.16.0.1 standby 2 preempt standby track f0/0

I need some hints because I can't model the configurations Thanks in advance

Reply to
Daniel-G
Loading thread data ...

I would also recommend setting a priority on both sides, either to ensure your traffic is being equally shared between core routers, or B because you want one link preferred downstream (presuming all paths are equal). Higher priority wins in this case, opposite of say spantree priorities on vlans.

Reply to
Trendkill

and do you want to stay on the backup router and move back manually ???

ponder what happens for example if you have a flapping Fast Ethernet interface on the main router

Reply to
Merv

Of course, you're right. I didn't mention priority to make it light. I used to

Actually what I want is having the failover take precedence if any of the interfaces of the main router goes down. I wonder wether it is possible to have the same standby group for all interfaces. The problem is that I can't test it as the main router is running and the 2nd is in "manual" standby (i.e. stopped).

Reply to
Daniel-G

Actually that's an excellent hint. I didn't think of it. I have no idea on how to make it. Maybe removing the preempt command on the emain router would be enough but, then I have to be careful when starting the routers. Or maybe I can set the preempt command, just when I want to revert back to the main router.

Reply to
Daniel-G

Usually the HSRP tracking feature is used to track the state of WAN interfaces.

Is this how you were intending to use it or are you trying to track LAN interfaces. If the later I would discourage you from doing so as you will unnecessarily complicate your operating environment.

Perhaps you can share a little more info about both router , i.e the WAN side of things to assist folks in responding to your query.

Reply to
Merv

You're right I didn't tell much I thought it was enough. Currently there is 1 router in charge of intervlan routing It's a 2611xm with sub-interfaces on the only Fast Ethernet Fortunately there are only 2 vlans Unfortunately the admin vlan is the base vlan for the branch. The other router is a 2610 and is supposed to have the same configuration except that it has only an ethernet interface. It is kept off awaiting that the main router fails. My predecessor did it this way, because he didn't know anything about fault tolerance.

I made a configuration similar to the one I want with 3550 L3 long time ago and it worked well because they were in charge of both L2 (with RPVST) and L3 transport

Here, as you can see, I don't monitor a wan interface, but by extrapolation, I think I can consider 1 interface as the wan interface of the other (it'd be the idea)

RtrA RtrB

10.0.0.2/24 F0/0.1-------------VL1------------E0/0.1 10.0.0.3/24 Virtual [VL1] 10.0.0.1 172.16.0.2/24 F0/0.2-----------VL2------------E0/0.2 172.16.0.3/24 Virtual [VL2] 172.16.0.1

from my point of view a basic config could be :

Rtr A

interface f0/0.1 ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 standby 1 ip 10.0.0.1 standby 1 preempt

interface f0/0.2 ip address 172.16.0.2 255.255.255.0 standby 2 ip 172.16.0.1 standby 2 preempt

standby x preempt

Reply to
Daniel-G

If the requirement is redundant VLAN routing, then use the basic HSRP configs you posted without using tracking

Keeps things as simple as possible while achieving the desired reduncy goals

Reply to
Merv

Yes I think you're right I'll let you know Thanks for your help Thanks also to trendkil for his answer

Reply to
Daniel-G

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.