Redesigning my network - what do I need?

I'm in the process of re-designing my work's network to make it more secure and scalable. I've identified six different groups of hosts that would benefit from being on their own VLAN (internal network, secure DMZ, dirty DMZ, customer networks and a training network).

In terms of connectivity between them, there should be some form of access control or firewalling. I'm not sure what the best bit(s) of kit would be = should I look at a six port firewall (potentially expensive with little room to upgrade)? Should they all connect to a global VLAN switch which also hosts a router (the "router on a stick")? What about Layer 3 switches?

I know I can achieve the above by running a Linux server with multiple NICs and some routing and firewall scripts, but this seems a bit "home grown" and I want to know what the "best practice" is in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Julian Regel
Loading thread data ...

Forget the linux route... its just a dog with fleas.

A pix or ASA will allow you to use vlans to connect to one physical interface. From there, you can "intervlan route" with security acls applied on the virtual interfaces...

Joe

Julian Regel wrote:

Reply to
jbrunner007

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.