Problem with Cisco Switch Port Please Help

We have a new device by Raritan it is a Dominion SX16. It has an ethernet connection. With a straight thru cable plugged into its ethernet port.

When we plug the other side of the ethernet cable into a 6500 Cisco Switch we (do not) get a link light on the Cisco port and Raritan device. The port is just configured for 100/full and on VLAN 1

When we plug the other side of the ethernet cable into a 2924 or 2912 switch we (do) get a link light on both devices ports. The port is also just configured for 100/full and on VLAN 1

What is the problem, there should be no difference between an ethernet port on a 6500 switch and a port on a 2900 switch? We have tried to connect this device to multiple 6000 switches and we get the same result no connection and no link lights but everytime we connect to a

2900 switch port we get a connection.

I have been doing networking for over 7 years and I have never seen this type of problem.

Any help is appreciated????

Reply to
mdargin
Loading thread data ...

I would also make sure it is actually a straight thru cable. A crossover is used for switch to switch links, so if you're getting a link between switches, it may be a crossover.

Reply to
robert.edmeister

In article , wrote: :We have a new device by Raritan it is a Dominion SX16.

:When we plug the other side of the ethernet cable into a 6500 Cisco :Switch we (do not) get a link light on the Cisco port and Raritan :device. The port is just configured for 100/full and on VLAN 1

:When we plug the other side of the ethernet cable into a 2924 or 2912 :switch we (do) get a link light on both devices ports. The port is :also just configured for 100/full and on VLAN 1

:What is the problem, there should be no difference between an ethernet :port on a 6500 switch and a port on a 2900 switch?

If I recall past discussions correctly, the 6500 and 29xx series handle autonegotiation differently.

What you wrote sounds like you have the 6500 and 29xx ports hard-coded for speed and duplex. If so, have you also hardcoded the Raritan port for speed and duplex?

Conversely, if you have all the ports hard-coded, then try setting them all to autonegotiate: I have heard more than once of devices that

-require- autonegotiation when talking to the 6500 series (some Sun boxes, some SGI boxes, some random switches.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

In article , wrote: :I would also make sure it is actually a straight thru cable. A :crossover is used for switch to switch links, so if you're getting a :link between switches, it may be a crossover.

Yeah, but either way the OP is plugging into a switch -- either a 29xx or the 6500. The OP specifically named the 6500 as a 'switch' not as a router.

The 29xx series is too old to expect auto-mdix so I do not expect it to be just a case of having used the "wrong" cable up until now.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com a écrit :

In the Dominion admin interface, try setting the ethernet port to

100/Full-Duplex - I believe that the default is auto-neg.
Reply to
jamesagnew

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote in news:1124826206.752392.7390 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Try setting port on 6500 as "switchport access". This makes it layer 2 port. 6500 has default setting of all ports as Layer 3 - with "no switchport". This is difference between 2924 and 6500 Ethernets.

adm

Reply to
user

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote in news:1124826206.752392.7390 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Try setting port on 6500 as "switchport access". This makes it layer 2 port. 6500 has default setting of all ports as Layer 3 - with "no switchport". This is difference between 2924 and 6500 Ethernets.

adm

Reply to
user

depends on whetehr the 65 is in native or hybrid OS

Reply to
jw

Thanks Everybody for all of your Help. The problem is solved. I spoke to Cisco and they stated to me to disable inline power. Once I did this it solved the problem on the 6500 port. I did not know that inline power is on by default to auto on the 6500 switches

Reply to
mdargin

Another thing to try is to configure 'switchport nonegotiate' to avoid DTP to be negotiated. I have seen ethernet drivers to be confused when the 6500 tried to negotiate the trunking. Not that I know it but I assume that the older 2900 doesn't do the DTP negotiation or at least it is not messed up by it.

mat

Reply to
Matthias Schaerer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.