3rd brief outage in 3 days.

Hello,

I am helping a network Administrator with his job. On friday we experienced a network outage on 5 computers. These 5 computers are connected to 2 separate switches. These 5 users called us immediately to complain. No one else complained. There are 150 Computers on the network. This outage lasted a couple of seconds and these are fairly impt computers. Their task is to run a job and once the job finished the computers send the data over the network to a server. If connectivity is lost for a millisecond then the job stops and has to be restarted from the beginning. Shipping experienced the same problem in that their rf scanner stopped responding for a few seconds. So all of the lift operators were not able to scan for product barcode thus halting productivity. What should i be looking for (errors or anomalies) on the switch. I have no idea if this is a computer problem or a cable problem or a network problem. We again experienced an outage on Monday and today. I am able to post switch configs and router configs.

Please help,

Tacobell2000

Reply to
Tacobell2000
Loading thread data ...

It sounds to me like you're not having a configuration issue. I think you need to set up a sniffer and capture traffic, then analyze it during the down times. I suspect something is causing a burst of traffic, dropping the delay-sensitive workstations off the network. You could also be having a physical layer problem, so I would certify the uplinks and connections to the workstations in question. HTH.

Robert

Reply to
robert.edmeister

Hi,

Could you please send your switches (related to this issue) configs with remarked interfaces connected to computers involved in this situation? Also, copy of switch logs from Friday to now is welcome...

B.R. Igor

Reply to
Igor Mamuzic

In my previous post I forgot to ask for 'show int' and 'show controllers' (or equivalent CatOS commands) outputs... These can easily show us if they are any L1/L2 issues...

B.R. Igor

Reply to
Igor Mamuzic

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.