Port Speed

Catalyst 2950.

If I set a device connecting to the switch to 100/full duplex, is it best to set the switch port to the same or will leaving it on auto detect find and match the speed without problem?

Reply to
K
Loading thread data ...

It is IMPERATIVE, that you set

either both to autonegotiate

or both to manual speed and duplex

the standard says that you /should/ (and you really do) get a duplex mismatch if you do not follow these guidelines.

This is now clearly documented by Cisco.

Remember:-

with a mismatch HD end gets late collisions FD end gets CRC erors and/or Align errors

Reply to
Bod43

H i"K",

No. BOTH ends should be set the same, Either BOTH autonegotiate or BOTH set as static.

The "problem" with the Ethernet autonegotiate "feature" is that when set to a MANUAL setting on one end, that end will NEVER respond to the other end requesting to autonegotiate, and the DEFAULT mode for a failed autonegotiate is to do HALF Duplex.

This means that you CAN "luck" upon a setting that resutls in a VALID connection when they are set different, but the odds of this are about

1:4 of doing this...........;-) The worst case is ending up with 100/Full at one end and 100/Half at the other... you get an apparently "good" link but with disasterous performance.

Cheers.............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Hello,

i agree with precedents posts in this topic plus :

put all critical hosts on your control to manual fixed speed/duplex. And of course the same parameters to corresponding switches ports.

Duplex negociation is not robust and i have seen mismatches with it. duplex.

Reply to
Luc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.