Am I being thick?

Guys

I'd appreciate a bit of help please

I have a large network, all cisco, all EIGRP, no reason or need to change

I have 2 core sites both running in a hub and spoke and both connected together

On all the spoke sites or satellite sites I want to stop traffic going to the other satellite and opposing core sites

I have a 20 bit network (FWIW)

One satellite site has an IP range 10.6.95.0/20

I want to stop all traffic getting to any

10.2.0.0 /20 10.3.0.0 /20 10.4.0.0 /20 10.5.0.0 /20

I created a set of access lists and applied them onto the S0/0 interface of the router, a basic deny anything to the above nets and it works

I want to move away from ACLs to route statements on some satellite centres, why?, cus I want to. Well it is my network

So on my 10.6.95.0 network I:

o Log onto a local server and start a ping to an IP address on a 10.2.0.0 network o Create a default route to route all traffic to S0/0 o Create a route for 10.2.0.0 255.255.0.0 null0 o Remove the EIGRP network o Watch the pings continue

Why does my traffic continue to get thru ?

In anticipation

--------- We don't stop playing because we get old We get old because we stop playing

Reply to
Steve Ray
Loading thread data ...

This is one of the cornerstones of IP routing.

More specific routes are /always/ preferred over less specific ones.

10.2.0.0 255.255.0.0 null0

is less specific than

10.2.0.0 /20

If there are equally specific then the administrative distance is used to determine which one goes in the routing table.

The order then is:

- Prefix length - Within a routing protocol - cost - Between Routing protocols - admin dist.

Reply to
Bod43

I noticed just too late that I had not answered your question.

"Am I being thick?"

Yes:-)

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.