PIX 506e VPN licenses

Hello all,

We've been having some issues with our VPN that is setup on our PIX

506e. 75% of the time, the VPN works wonders, but the other 25% of the time, people lose connection for no apparent reason. I have setup a Kiwi Syslog and gone over and over the logs, but find no issues.

But someone suggested I look to see if we have enough VPN licenses for the PIX. Maybe it's dropping connections if it goes over the max number of connections for the licenses.

I wasn't even aware you needed VPN licenses.

Is there way to figure this out?


Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Hi Chris,

I couldn't remember what the details were on this so I looked it up on Cisco. The enclosed URL takes you to a PDF. This states that:

Cleartext throughput: 20 Mbps

56-bit DES IPsec VPN throughput: 20 Mbps 168-bit 3DES IPsec VPN throughput: 16 Mbps Simultaneous VPN peers: 25*

  • Maximum number of simultaneous site-to-site or remote access

VPN/IKE Security Associations (SAs) supported

The last bit is probably your limitiation. How may users do you have.

formatting link


Reply to
Darren Green

Thanks for the info...we have approximately 25 users who have access to the VPN, but maybe only 10-15 users who use it at any given time.

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.