Not able to hit 2950

I just put a new 2950 on the network. The core is a 4507R. I already had 46 2950's on the network. ON the new one I pasted the configue into it from another switch. I did change the ip before I pasted it in. The switch is working fine, passing traffic to the correct vlans by port, but I am unable to telnet by ip in to it, and I can not ping it either. The running configue shows correct ip. Any ideas?

Reply to
kinnamonb
Loading thread data ...

Subnet mask? Is the IP in the right vlan? Does it have the correct default gateway? Can you ping/telnet from the next hop?

Reply to
Trendkill

yes correct subnet.Switchs get all vlans we vlan form the ports. The ip is in the correct mangament range 10.1.32.* Yes correct Gateway, No can not ping from any hop or even if I am plugged into the switch its self

Reply to
kinnamonb

Yes but is the ip address on the right vlan? You have affirmed it is the right IP, right subnet, right range, etc, but it also has to be in the right vlan. A lot of the time that is VLAN 1, but in many cases it is something else if going according to strict Cisco recommendations.

What vlan is the management interface on on the other 2950s? 1? Is this one on 1?

Reply to
Trendkill

Yes its vlan 1 All of the Switchs are Vlan 1 interface Vlan1 ip address 10.1.32.51 255.255.224.0 no ip route-cache

Reply to
kinnamonb

The question was whether the management IP is in the right VLAN, not whether it was the right management IP. (Though it is good to know that the management IP is proper).

If, for instance, the management VLAN is VLAN 1 and your router's management ip is on interface VLAN 10 then you'll have problems.

Also, since you say you pasted the configuration in, are you sure that the VLAN x interface is not "shutdown". By default any interfaces created by pasting in new configuration information are "administratively down". If this is the issue, the fix is to console in and:

config t interface VLAN 10 (assuming you're using VLAN 10 for management) no shut

Reply to
briggs

What is the config for the management interface of the switch it is connected off of? You say you have 46 switches, but all of those can't be in the same management vlan with a /27 mask. If you can't ping it from this next switch, there is a mismatch somewhere.......

Reply to
Trendkill

It's not a /27 mask!

interface Vlan1 ip address 10.1.32.51 255.255.224.0 no ip route-cache

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Oops, one octet off...LOL. Pretty large network for a management VLAN if you ask me, but whatever. Anyway, what is the config off the next hop switch. Please also show cdp neigh detail, show interface trunk.

Reply to
Trendkill

I will check the shutdown. We had the core switch dumb last night (Confige and OS). After I got it back up I found all the vlans shutdown also, so that was waht I was going to look at this morning. Thank you for all the help.

Reply to
kinnamonb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.