NM-1A-T3 module for combining T1s

Hello,

Our company currently has about 12 point-to-point T1s from different sites all connecting to our headquarters. We are moving soon, so we have decided to get a DS3 at our headquarters that will have all of the T1s coming in on it, instead of having about 12 T1s coming in.

I have asked a Cisco dealer to get me a quote on a new router and module to support this, and they gave me a quote for a Cisco 3845 router with a NM-1A-T3 module. As far as I can tell, this module is ATM only and I don't see how it would support multiplexing T1s onto a DS3.

I haven't found much documentation on doing the type of setup I am trying to do, so I was wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has experience with T3/DS3 modules. Also, if it is possible to do this with the NM-1A-T3 module I would greatly appreciate any sample configurations for this type of setup.

Thanks.

Reply to
spydre
Loading thread data ...

Correct, the NM-1A-T3 module would be doing ATM, not mux'ing them out.

BUT, depending on your local telco, it might be worthwhile investigating this sort of solution, and changing up your T1 lines at the telco, rolling frame-relay T1s from remote sites into an ATM DS3 feed, and using the 3845 with the NM-1A-T3 solution. (ie. the telco takes care of terminating your Frame-Relay T1s into ATM and transporting over cell-relay back into your ATM DS3).

But, if you do want to straight PtP DS1 MUX'ed into a DS3, you're going to have to start looking at much more expensive hardware. I'd recomend a Cisco7200 with a PA-MC-T3. But since that combo is $35000 list price, it is a tad higher than the 3845 you've been quoted.

Cisco doesn't offer the same on anything less than the 7200 platform, (or equivilent, ie FLEXWAN in a 650x, or something else in the 7x00, etc). but it'll do exactly what you want.

If you want to stick with your existing hardware, but MUX out a DS3, then a basic M13 Mux (ie. Adtran MX2800) will do it, but then you're taking T1s out of the MUX as single copper lines back into what you use to terminate them now.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

My company can provide you with the solution you need at much lower than cisco list price:

7206VXR,NPE-300 w/128 MEGS RAM, I/O-FE w/48FL @ $4800 7206VXR,NPE-400 w/256 MEGS RAM, I/O-2FE w/48FL @ $8000 PA-MC-T3 @ $5000

The above is USED with 90 days warranty, GUARANTEED ORIGINAL REAL CISCO. Choose either 7206VXR configuration. The NPE-400 will provide you with better performance and the I/O-2FE will give you two fast ethernet ports on the I/O card. I can provide a quote for a 7206VXR/NPE-G1, but it is kind of pricier, and I don't think you need it for a single DS3. I can also provide NEW equipment if you do not want USED.

CISCO3845 CISCO REFURBISHED SEALED @ $7800 [256 DRAM, 64 FLASH]

NM-1A-T3 USED @ $2500

Also 90 day warranty. Everything guaranteed to be REAL Cisco, not counterfeit like the stuff on Ebay.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Rick Truong

TruTech Systems

Office: 951.696.3688

Mobile: 951.440.8711

AIM: ricktrutek

E-Mail: rick at trutechsystems dot net

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

different

so we

all of the

and

module is

onto a

am

suggestions.

with

NM-1A-T3

this

Correct, the NM-1A-T3 module would be doing ATM, not mux'ing them out.

BUT, depending on your local telco, it might be worthwhile investigating this sort of solution, and changing up your T1 lines at the telco, rolling frame-relay T1s from remote sites into an ATM DS3 feed, and using the 3845 with the NM-1A-T3 solution. (ie. the telco takes care of terminating your Frame-Relay T1s into ATM and transporting over cell-relay back into your ATM DS3).

But, if you do want to straight PtP DS1 MUX'ed into a DS3, you're going to have to start looking at much more expensive hardware. I'd recomend a Cisco7200 with a PA-MC-T3. But since that combo is $35000 list price, it is a tad higher than the 3845 you've been quoted.

Cisco doesn't offer the same on anything less than the 7200 platform, (or equivilent, ie FLEXWAN in a 650x, or something else in the

7x00, etc). but it'll do exactly what you want.

If you want to stick with your existing hardware, but MUX out a DS3, then a basic M13 Mux (ie. Adtran MX2800) will do it, but then you're taking T1s out of the MUX as single copper lines back into what you use to terminate them now.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

formatting link

Reply to
rick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.