NAT question

Hi,

I am running a router connected to a firewall connected to a single server running Windows Server 2003, Exchange, and ISA. I want to use ISA as another layer of defense so the server is multihomed. the Lan is connected to one NIC and the other NIC is connected to the firewall.

My question is this. No matter what traffic is sent, whether it is from the server or a PC on the other side of the server, it will have a source address of the NIC connected to the firewall right? because ISA is a proxy, it makes all requests on behalf of the clients? Therefore, having a static NAT translation to pass information to Exchange doesn't make sense because all traffic will have the same source IP when it gets to the firewall.

Is this correct and will this be a problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
K.J. 44
Loading thread data ...

wan___router___firewall___isa___lan

Really bad to depend on windows for network connectivity. Suppose you'll be learning that lesson the hard way.

If I recall, ISA has proxy support for http/https and limited support for ftp. Be aware that proxy implementation will likely break certain features of both protocols. Other traffic will probably traverse isa as routed.

Like I say, probably not. Put a packet sniffer on it and find out for yourself. You still need to get public traffic to the exchange server somehow. Nat it or route it... doesn't matter. They both work.

Reply to
Dom

I agree and I am using ISA in a very limited way. It came with the SBS package. We will not need FTP and will just use the internet connectivity for email, web, and VPNs into the firewall.

What is a good packet sniffer for Windows? I have worked with Ethereal on Linux boxes plenty but I don't really know what a good sniffer is on windows.

Thanks.

Dom wrote:

Reply to
K.J. 44

Ethereal runs on Windows also

Reply to
Merv

Network monitor comes with windows server.

Reply to
Dom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.