NAT / IP masquerade help

Hi Everyone, Being new to this group I am also new to the etiquette so please excuse me in advance if I have left something out or being lame. I am not a Cisco person but I have programmed the IOS before and created NATs, static routes, policy-maps etc and understand the most intermediate level networking topics (from an abstract point of view anyway due to writing distributed software), so please don't be rough on me if the question below is a sinch to answer or if your answer goes way over my head as I really do not know how easy/hard or even possible(?) my query is so here goes.

I need to configure a cisco 800 series router that has a "basic" feature set - which can be upgraded to "advanced" if necessary - and an ADSL WIC with 2 public usable IP addresses assigned (for security I've contrived the below internal addresses):

Network:

192.168.2.0 255.255.255.252

192.168.2.1 primary

192.168.2.2 secondary

The 192.168.2.1 address has be in use for years and has NAT/PAT set-up and running fine however recently we need to communicate with a company to hook into their web services. Now for organisational/security/logging/other reasons any internal client/server on the LAN accessing the web service must masquerade as coming from the 192.168.2.2 address when communicating with this foreign server at address 10.10.10.1 (again contrived).

What I am have trouble with is trying to get this work is and I am not sure if I have all the concepts correct in my head nor the experience with the Cisco IOS to make this function.

Basically the crux of the operation is:

1) I need to have the current NAT to function as usual so general Internet usage continues. 2) the router needs to mark packets destined for 10.10.10.1 from the same internal clients currently using the NAT in (1) as originating from the IP address 192.168.2.2 referenced as a secondary address on the Dialer. 3) The ONLY traffic that can be maked as originating from 192.168.2.2 is traffic destined for 10.10.10.1, i.e. 192.168.2.2 must soley be used for communicating with the web service. 4) The router needs to receive return traffic from both general Internet useage operating over 192.168.2.1 NAT and from 10.10.10.1 (the return traffic from the web service will always result from a connection on the LAN, i.e. they are synchronous interactions; the foreign web service will never have to callback an individual internal client to return results).

From the above requirements I have looked at setting up a dynamic OUTSIDE NAT containing the 192.168.2.2 ip address, but I do not know how this will affect the current dynamic one operating on 192.168.2.1 (there are currenlty some static listings also for incoming traffic to smtp servers) and I do not know how to correctly assign access-lists/routes so that only traffic destined to 10.10.10.1 uses this OUTSIDE NAT and that the internal clients can still receive the return traffic from both the Internet and 10.10.10.1.

Any help/guidance is appreciated and if any further information is required please let me know and I'll will provide the information can.

Thanks

Caza

Reply to
Caza Henha
Loading thread data ...

ip nat inside destination list ACLNUMBER pool POOLNAME

Use different pools for the different destinations, and different ACLs. The ACLs should be "standard" access-lists -- just a destination IP and optional wildcard mask, usually ACL number 1-99.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Walter, Thanks for the quick reply, however although nothing adverse happens to the current connections it does not work as expected as ALL outgoing traffic still going out as 192.168.2.1, following carrying out your suggestion below I checked the NAT address translations and there were no entries for the 192.168.2.2 address also I used a test server on the WAN to emulate the web service and examine the source packets and there were still coming from 192.168.2.1 (?). I made the following entries in the IOS; have I done them correct (the IOS did complain when I entered the IP NAT INSIDE command that the pool was not a rotary type and unexpected results could occur, I presume as it only contains 1 IP address):

Here is the related nat portion of the config (real external IPs have been adjusted to those internal ones I used in my original question)

interface Dialer0 ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.252 ip address 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.252 secondary ... ip nat outside ..

interface VLAN1 network 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 ... ip nat inside ...

ip nat pool Test 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 prefix-length 32 REMARK ip address that needs to be use when talking to App Server ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer0 overload ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.3.2 25 interface Dialer0 25 ip nat inside destination list 50 pool Test REMARK force traffic to app server to use ip address 192.168.2.2

access-list 1 permit 192.168.3.0 0.0.0.255 access-list 50 permit 10.10.10.1 REMARK application server address

Am I missing something or do I need to change the other nat rules to be more specific i.e. remove the reference to the "Dialer0 overload" and change it to to specify the primary IP address i.e. "192.168.2.1 overload" as is the Dialer0 taking presedence and continuing to use the primary address(?) (I am reluctant to change it to the below until someone with a bit more knowledge can give me the nod). I was going to try and clear the nat translations but as I was coming in over a SSH link I could not do it until office hours case I mess things up totally, y main concern however the the rotary-type message but is this something I can ignore?

Thanks

Caza

Walter Robers> >

Reply to
Caza Henha

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.