New To All Of This QUESTION...

I am finally going to get into this Flat Screen TV thingy... However I just dont know enough to choose... LCD or PLASMA??? What are the advantages disadvantage??? Size is of no concern to me since I have a fairly good sized TV room. We will play some games on it but mainly it will be used for movies and TV.. Any suggestions???

Reply to
Old Knick
Loading thread data ...

You may get many responses here but you will have no way to distinguish the useful from the foolish. I suggest that first you read up on the topic at any of many established websites. Then you can assess the comments you will receive here.

You might start at:

formatting link
Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

The advice to read up is good, and I endorse Kalman's list.

Personally, I have a well-formed opinion:

Plasmas burn in. They burn in sooner rather than later, and the burn- in usually can't be fixed. Therefore, avoid plasmas if you expect to play games for extended periods, or watch SD channels with black bars at the sides, or channels with crawls at the bottom, or use it as a computer monitor, etc.

On the other hand, you can get a better picture at a given screen size, viewable from wider angles both horizontally and vertically, for less money with a plasma. If the screen will be used exclusively (or nearly so) in full-screen video mode with no fixed-position high- contrast elements , plasmas can be a better buy than the same size LCDs.

r
Reply to
rdclark

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Dan

AVS Forum is a great place to discuss and ask questions but getting a bit of a background first would serve him well.

Kal

formatting link
>

formatting link
>

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

Thanks I will take your advice

Reply to
Old Knick

If you are going to be gaming, I would stay away from Plasma completely. Although they have dealt with the image burn-in issue, there are still concerns your gaming could leave a permanent image on the screen.

For the money, you can't beat DLP sets such as Samsung. Excellent blacks and sharp images. Good luck. I have a 61 in. Samsung DLP and am very happy with the 1080P performance with my Blu-Ray/HD-DVD LG combo player.

Reply to
Steven B. Singer, M.Ed., LPC

Just make sure you allocate a grand or two for spare bulbs and buy them while they're still in production.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Reply to

If they're still in production. I get this feeling that finding bulbs for a old DLP player is going to be like getting air filters for an air purifier. Invariably, they're no longer made and you have to buy a whole new unit.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

As with many purchase decisions, there are tradeoffs, pros and cons. In the >50" screen size, the cost difference between a rear projection technology and a comparable sized LCD/Plasma can easily be around $1000. Assuming a 10 yr life for the TV, if you had to buy 2 replacement bulbs, you would be well ahead of the game cost wise.

Reply to
Rich Z

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.