My experience with the venerable Cisco AIR-BR350 wbr/ap

Have a golf course customer with a sector antenna on the roof of a conference center. He uses wifi to link his starter's laptops which run an web application to an oracle server that allows the starter to organize starting times and so forth. This antenna also allows him to feed a house where some golf pros stay about 1 mi away.

This link was working fine up until two weeks ago when it ceased operating correctly. This lead me to believe that something outside the network or possibly the antenna/cabling was causing the problem.

I went out and did some troubleshooting, we brough in the antenna/RF cabling installer, had him check the connectors because it seemed to really be a problem on the RF side. This proceeded until we brought the bridge to the whip coming from the antenna and still saw the same intermittent behavior. We then pulled the parabolic grid antenna off the house and pointed it directly at the laptop the was about 100ft away and two stories down. The link worked ok here, so we thought it must be a large-scale strange interference occuring. However, we don't have the equipment to accurately find interference. We connected a grid antenna to a 350 card and shot it right at the sector antenna and noticed that moving the antenna a minute amount in the x-y-z space would allow us to link nicely then moving it another small amount would kill it (phasing problem?).

Did a lot of other tests and then it was starting to dawn on me that I had seen this same behavior a couple of years ago at another installation with 350 bridges in a point-to-point config.

So after lunch one day, I brought a "brand new" 350 with me, put it in, and EVERYTHING WORKED FINE.

I don't think there is a way to see accurately what the operating state of the radio is, it doesnt spit anything into the log indicating problems. This makes sense as the radio is removed from the bridge hardware and it's just a card. But I've seen enough wierd squirrely behavior with the software/firmware side of things as well that I just don't trust them whatsoever. You just can't upgrade firmware on these things reliably. I've killed a couple of them doing this. Crazy.

So if you're spec'ing an installation with the 350, be aware that they do have performance issues and expect to drink heavily. ;o)

I haven't had a chance to use the 1300.

Reply to
Benrand
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.