ISDN problem solved but do not understand why :-(

I could not ping the local interface ISDN BRI. After doing some searching on Google and this group, the answer is to use the dialer map to map the local ip address to the remote one at the other end of the connection.

It "solves" the problem but technically, in my opinion, it does not : it just gives me the feeling that I can ping, but in fact, I ping the other side.

I would like to undertsand why I can not ping the local interface of ISDN BRI while I can on SE, Ethernet interfaces

Thanks,

DT

Reply to
dt1649651
Loading thread data ...

the reason is because is a non broadcast media, per se the traffic destined to the local interface is first sent to the other end of the link and the routed back (just as serial interfaces just that in this case the router doesn't know how to reach it like in frame relay needs more information). you need explicitly to let know the router where to reach such address.

Reply to
<Anthrax>

the reason is because is a non broadcast media, per se the traffic destined to the local interface is first sent to the other end of the link and the routed back (just as serial interfaces just that in this case the router doesn't know how to reach it like in frame relay needs more information). you need explicitly to let know the router where to reach such address.

Reply to
<Anthrax>

Anthrax, thanks for the explanation.

DT

Reply to
dt1649651

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.