Customer kills AP

Hello all,

We have a customer who is roughly 5km away from our PoP in the area. The PoP has three 802.11b AP's, each with a 120 degree sector attached to it. When we connected this customer with a 24dBi antenna, he had a strength of over 90% and it killed all the other customers on the AP. In doing flood pings, some people were dropping over 20% of packets, and when we turn him off, they go back down to under 5%.

So, we figured he was too powerful and put him down to a 19dBi antenna, but still, he is killing everyone. Even if we transfer him to a sector that is facing another direction, he kills everyone -- on all three sectors. With a 19dBi, his signal strength is still over 80%.

I am wondering if there is anyone here who can help me find out what else could be causing this problem, or any suggestions to fix it.

BTW - the AP's are Tranzeo TR-4500's (17dBi), and the CPE is a Senao CB3.

Thanks in advance, Kevin Brown.

Reply to
Kevin Brown
Loading thread data ...

I guess you're a WISP. You might try asking the same question in the mailing lists at:

formatting link
formatting link
My guess(tm) is that you have a classic hidden transmitter problem. With highly directional antennas at the client end, none of the clients are going to hear each other. So, they tend to transmit on top of each other. Instant collisions.

The solution is to turn on CTS/RTS flow control at the central access point. It will slow everyone down, but it will eliminate collisions.

It's also possible that someone has messed with the timing on the Senao card and set it for a more aggressive retry time, effectively hogging the channel. You might wanna replace the CPE and see if it helps.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Take his amp off him or threaten to cut him off.

Reply to
BruceM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.