My clients connects slowly to my cisco switch

Hi,

I have just replaced my old HP switch with a cisco C2960 48TTL switch. If I have a booted client and plug its network cable into the switch it takes long time to get an ip address. I newer had this problem with the old HP switch. The dhcp service (from a network server) works perfect in the rest of my network environment (HP switch).

I think it has something to do with the auto sense, hardware negotiation or what it is called.

Do I need to configure something to speedup the process?

Best Regards Martin

Reply to
wee
Loading thread data ...

Take a look at the spanning-tree portfast option on your interfaces.

You'll find that the switch doesnt enable the port (to a green light) for about 30 seconds while it gathers information about what is connected (it has orange light during this phase)

HTH....M

Reply to
Mike J

Do I need to enter the: no spanning-tree portfast command on the interfeces?

Regards Martin

Mike J wrote:

Reply to
wee

On ports connected to PCs you should use:-

spanning-tree portfast

There are other optimisations that you can use too but I don't bother since the benefit is smaller.

formatting link

switchport mode access ! prevents trunk negotiation

This document is a bit old but explains the principles.

formatting link
PortFast and Other Commands to Fix Workstation Startup Connectivity Delays

Finally you should consider enabling bpduguard on ports with portfast enabled.

In many environments this is not an issue, our users only re-boot their PCs, well never ideally:-)

Reply to
Bod43

formatting link
says:-

Try

"set port mode host" (or set port host - long time since i did this) this is a macro which alters 3 different settings to get a port to come up as fast as possible.

formatting link
Using PortFast and Other Commands to Fix Workstation Startup

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.