HP Procurve switches

I am familiar wiith the Procurve 224M, 2324 and 2524 switches, and the differences between them. How do the 2124, 2224 and 2424 switches compare to these. I'm lookiing to buy a few secondhand switches, I would prefer

2524s, but the others often turn up on Ebay, and tend to be cheaper; what would I lose by going for those?
Reply to
Stephen Furley
Loading thread data ...

Stephen Furley wrote:

If you haven't already, you might try searching around at

formatting link
I'm not 100% certain you'll find everything there for stuff that is off the HP CPL, but it is worth a look.

Internally I found this description of the 2124:

The Switch 2124 has 24 auto-sensing 10/100Base-TX RJ-45 ports, and a slot for installing an HP 100-FX SC Transceiver (HP J4853A).

The features of the Switch 2124 include: 24 auto-sensing 10/100Base-TX RJ-45 ports with HP Auto-MDIX a slot for installing an HP 100-FX SC Transceiver (HP J4853A) plug-and-play networking all ports are enabled just connect the network cables to active network devices and your switched network is operational HP Auto-MDIX on all 10/100 twisted-pair ports, meaning that all connections can be made using straight-through twisted-pair cables. Cross-over cables are not required, although they will also work. The pin operation of each port is automatically adjusted for the attached device: if the switch detects that another switch or hub is connected to the port, it configures the port as MDI; if the switch detects that an endnode device is connected to the port, it configures the port as MDI-X. automatic learning of the hardware addresses in the switch s 4000-entry address forwarding table automatically negotiated full-duplex operation for the fixed 10/100 RJ-45 ports when connected to other auto-negotiating devices the transceiver port always operates at full duplex. auto-negotiation of flow control for ports operating at full duplex

For the 2224:

The features of the Switch 2224 include: n 24 auto-sensing 10/100Base-TX RJ-45 ports n a slot for installing an HP 100Base-FX Transceiver Module (HP J3193B) n plug-and-play networking all ports are enabled just connect the network cables to active network devices and your switched network is operational n automatic learning of the hardware addresses in the switch s 12000-entry address forwarding table n auto-negotiation of half/full duplex on all ports n auto-negotiation of flow control for ports operating at full duplex

And then the 2424M:

The features of the Switch 1600M and 2424M include: n 16 or 24 autosensing 10/100Base-TX RJ-45 ports n a slot for installing any of the available switch modules as of this printing, these include: " 8-port 10/100Base-TX Module (HP J4111A) " 4-port 100Base-FX Module (HP J4112A) " 1-port Gigabit-SX Module (HP J4113A) " 1-port Gigabit-LX Module (HP J4114A) " 4-port 10Base-FL Module (HP J4118A) " Gigabit Stacking Module (HP J4130A for Switch 2424M only, available Summer 1999) n the modules are hot swappable n plug-and-play networking all ports are enabled just connect the network cables to active network devices and your switched network is operational n automatic learning of the network addresses in the switch s 8000-address forwarding table, with configurable address aging value n automatically negotiated full-duplex operation of the 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, ports when connected to other auto-negotiating or full-duplex devices Gigabit ports always operate at full duplex n easy management of the switches through several available interfaces: " web browser interface an easy to use built-in graphical interface that can be accessed from common web browsers. " console interface a full featured, easy to use, VT-100 terminal interface that is especially good for out-of-band switch management, or for telnet access to the switch. " HP TopTools for Hubs & Switches an SNMP-based, full-featured graphical network management tool that you can use to manage your entire network. This product is included with your new switch. n support for the Spanning Tree Protocol to eliminate network loops n support for up to 30 IEEE 802.1Q-compliant VLANs so you can divide the attached end nodes into logical groupings that fit your business needs n support for many advanced features to enhance network performance described in the Management and Configuration Guide that came with your switch.

hth,

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Thanks Rick. I didn't realise that they had information on obsolete products on their site.

Having read the specs, I think I'll stick to the 2524.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Furley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.