Multicast Limits

I wonder how many simultaneous video multicast streams a layer 3 switch can support (assumption one stream = 2 Mbps)? using only layer 2 (IGMP) source and receiver on the sme VLAN using layer 3 routing (with PIM) I can't find any precise info on cisco web site. Any idea or experience ?

Thanks.

Reply to
floppy
Loading thread data ...

it really depends on the switch.

we did some scale tests on a Cat 6509 and it was happy with several 1000 multicast streams (any more and we ran out of bandwidth, so irrelevant to us).

FWIW we use 5 Mbps MPEG2 for video streams (2 Mbps seems a bit optimistic if you want high quality), and 100 Kbps for low bandwidth audio - notional load expected is 100 video and 400 audio, so around 450 Mbps aggregate.....

scale test from a european test lab:

formatting link
(the lab is
formatting link
if you need someone to test for you).

Reply to
stephen

formatting link
(the

Thanks for the information and the link (testing setup is well described) Any idea if some tests have been performed to compared performance of products from other companies ?

Reply to
floppy

formatting link

i have seen a few tests for other boxes - try eantc and other test houses

i remember is:

formatting link
formatting link

also try

formatting link
but - your best friend for this is Google and the info on which comparison you want.....

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.