enabling/dissabling ip multicast traffic in real time on a Cisco router using windows script

Scenario: A network (IP) with X amount of surveillance cameras. All cameras transmit video via Mpeg 2 multicast (IGMP version 2 & PIM SM). External clients connect to the private network via a router 3700 series. Under normal conditions a client should be able to request any video stream. Under special circumstances some video streams are not allowed to go to the external clients, but still need to be available inside the local network.

Question: Is it possible to dynamically activate or deactivate access control list on the edge router, from a windows application? Some kind of scripting maybe?

The operators that are watching the videos from the local network should be able to enable/disable video streams from going out to the remote clients.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Art
Loading thread data ...

It could be done on various ways but I think you'll have to script in any way. One way would be to add/remove an access-list trough a script or add/remove "ip multicast ttl-threshold ttl-value" command. You could probably do the same using SNMP and that could be much "cleaner" way to do it.

formatting link
is your friend.

Reply to
Ivan Ostres

Ivan, Thanks for your response you nailed it!

using the command on the interface receiving the multicast: " The ip multicast ttl-threshold command means that any packets with a TTL lower than the specified threshold, in this case, 15, are not forwarded. This command is usually used to provide a border to keep internal multicast traffic from drifting out of the intranet. " extracted from:

formatting link
It is very easy to me to change via SNMP the TTL value of the multicast video server (encoder) on the fly. I know how many hops the multicast video has to travel from source to destination (width of my network). My longest hop count is 4, if I set my edge router with a TTL of 10 for example, I will set the ttl on the encoder to 13 when I don't want the video to go out and 15 when I do.

By doing this I don't have to do anything with the router via scripts or anything like that.

Some video encoders are not 4 hops apart from the edge router, so a database with the right TTL per video encoder will be needed. For example an encoder connected to the network where the edge is connected to, shall be set to a TTL value of 10 in order to be blocked. (asuming my previous example of setting a threshold of 10 in the router.)

Thanks!

Reply to
Art

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.