moving from multi T1 to T3

I have 7206VXR with a PA-A3-8T1IMA and a PA-MC-8T1. My provider has offered to aggregate my T1 connections on to one T3 but as I started scanning Cisco's documentation I can't find definate answers on some questions I have. I'll need to have the capability to bond NxT1 and break out channels for voice over specific T1's - the voice channels will need to be fed from a external device. Cisco docs mention that inverse multiplexing (bonding) is not supported. Can I "bond" channels with Multilink PPP? Also, I haven't found anything that says how to break out individual channels to route from/to an external device. Is it possible to do what I am asking with my router or do I need to seek out different hardware?

Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
amcrory
Loading thread data ...

I think your requirements go a bit beyond what the PA-MC-T3 card can handle, which would be replacing your PA-A3-8T1IMA and PA-MC-8T1 cards.

I assume the T3 is for cost savings, rather than a technical requirement.

It might be easiest just to get a seperate M13 mux and feed your 7200 from the output of that the same way you are doing now. Ie. an Adtran MX2800 takes one T3 in, and feeds 28 T1s out. Just cross connect the output of each T1 into the existing PA cards the same way.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Doug,

Thanks for the quick response. They will mux the T1's and hand me a DS3 so I can break channels out as I like. The problem is my PRI interface will terminate on a seperate device and I want to be able to combine voice and data channels on individual T1's. Maybe it's not a problem i have never dealt with this before. I was hoping I could connect the PBX to the Cisco over a PRI port and then route the appropriate channels out the DS3.

Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
amcrory

You need to step back a bit. DS3 really is just 28 T1s (unless used as pure data, something a telco would never do for service delivery). The PA-MC-T3 card basicly just muxes down the DS3 into 28 Data T1s. You can't really do cross-connect in and out from the DS3 easily, that usually requires an external box (possibly an Adtran Atlas?).

We'd need to know quite alot more about your setup to hazard a guess, but there's probably somebody at your telco that would know your setup more and make recomendations. Most of them resell hardware, so they have some pretty beefy sales engineers types around that can answer you based on your current setup.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.