2 VLAN's on 1 Port SPAN - CIsco 6500

Currently, I have 2 VLAN's that I'm SPAN'ing using monitor session. I have 2 monitor sessions -- 1 for each VLAN. I have a need now to use a port SPAN for something else, but my 6509 has a limit of 2 monitor sessions.

I need to free up a SPAN so that I can install an IDS. Can I monitor the 2 VLAN's in 1 session as long as traffic bursts don't overwhelm the SPAN port?

IOS Version 12.2(18)SXD7

2 SUP2 Engines 2 GigE 48 Port modules FlexWan Module / Router PFC2 MSFC2

Thanks,

Beth

Reply to
sillz
Loading thread data ...

Beth,

It's definitely possible to have multiple VLANs as a source. But like you said, you have to be careful not to oversubscribe or you'll miss some data due to queue drops (or worse, spike the CPU).

HTH, neteng

formatting link

Reply to
pcmccollum

No need to worry about spiking the CPU, the 6500 doesn't use the CPU to switch packets or to mirror ports. It's more likely that the IDS will get overloaded long before the 6500 starts dropping packets because of an oversubscribed GIG interface.

Reply to
Thrill5

In the interest of planning ahead - you may need to look into "VACLs". If you ever need a 3rd session...that is a decent solution.

Reply to
CeykoVer

Good point. Thanks Thrill5.

neteng

formatting link

Reply to
pcmccollum

Thanks, I've seen some stuff on VACL's. So I can use a VACL to capture and filtered traffic? In this case it would need to be all traffic on VLAN1. Could you give me an example of how I could capture VLAN1 traffic and send that the a port where I have the collector/ sniffer?

Beth

Reply to
sillz

Thanks, I've seen some stuff on VACL's. So I can use a VACL to capture and filtered traffic? In this case it would need to be all traffic on VLAN1. Could you give me an example of how I could capture VLAN1 traffic and send that the a port where I have the collector/ sniffer?

Beth

All you need to know and then some!

formatting link

Reply to
Brian V

some!

formatting link
Setup a named security acl to capture all traffic that you want (could be ip any, but up to you). Then map this security acl to a VLAN or set of VLANs, and finally set a destination port to send the matches to. Do not forget to 'commit' the VACL, or it will not work. Here is some documentation.

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.