871W

Hi

Can anyone point to a model that is simila rin size to the 871W 4 port switch with wireless

I need it with the following spec.

4 x 10/100/1000 ethernet

802.11 b/g/n

CLI interface

able to define a monitor port(s) for upstream, downstrem or both ways traffic

doesnt have to be cisco but prefered but does have to be portable.

I want to use it as a wired/wireless tap for packet capture by clients

many thanks

Reply to
Supersleuth
Loading thread data ...

Not likely, thats alot for a portable package. Other vendors aren't going there much either.

You can get close with a Cisco 1941W, you can add on two HWIC-1GE-SFP's, but you don't get SPAN port monitoring on router ports, they'll be seperate routed ports.

If packet debug traces are good enough for you, that might be an option.

A FortiWiFi-80CM is even smaller, but only has 2 ge ports, and 7 FE lan ports. But again, you'd have to do packet debug traces to see trafic through it, no port SPAN, although you could setup a "software hub" on 6 of the FE ports, you won't be able to include the GE ports.

It sounds like you really want a incredibly small 4-port managed Gig switch. Pretty small market for that.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Perhaps this may help.

formatting link
IOS Embedded Packet Capture

It's quite a new facility but is available on many routers.

This will probally (at a wild guess) work on "router ports" but not "switch ports".

So on an 871 (if it works at all on an 871 - check software versions -

formatting link
it might work on the outside interface, SVIs (i.e. VLAN interfaces) but will probably not work on the 4 individual internal switch ports.

Thing is that an 871 has limited performance and if you add packet capture then it may well prove inadequate for your needs.

The most certain thing is to add a switch that supports SPAN in the path. e.g. Catalyst 2960 (I suppose).

Stick it outside the 871 and you will see everything heading across the Internet.

A dedicated switch with SPAN implements the packet "copying" in hardware and will never run out of resources.

Reply to
bod43

thanks for that just a pity

the 871W does offer monitor port function with standard IOS

Looks like i will just have to wait till the next generation of SOHO

cheers

Reply to
Supersleuth

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.