Migrating from supervisor engine 1a to supervisor 2, pfc2, msfc2. Any tips ?

Hello all,

We've been running 2 6500, supervisor 1a/pfc/msfc for some years and as the network have grown, we bought 4 supervisor II, pfc2, msfc2 (no budget for Sup720 for now). I'm looking for hear from people who made this conversion for any tips they have.

The first difference we've found is the limitation in the number of HSRP groups (256 in Supervisor 1 and 16 in supervisor 2, sigh!).

If there are some thoughts, reports, regrets :-), etc, I will be glad to hear from you.

Thank you. Antonio

Reply to
acdsp
Loading thread data ...

Hmmm. 16 system wide unique HSRP groups hardly seems like a limitation to me.

It does prevent you from doing

int x ip 10.1.x.1 /24 stand x whatever

repeat for x = 1 to 255.

However this is a convention that does not produce any network functional benefit.

There is nothing to prevent you from using the same standby group(s) on every interface. I have seen cases where two groups were used on each interface for load balancing but never more.

int x ip 10.1.x.1 /24 stand 1 ...... stand 2 .....

repeat for x - 1 to 255

Anyway for a full explanation see:-

formatting link
Cisco hardly ever do anything that prevents customers from delivering effective networks. Really, it's very rare which is why I knew to look it up.

Reply to
Bod43

you dont mention whether you are running CatOS /IOS or an integrated image....

16 group addresses or possibly some other limit (i think - a long time ago) - but you can reuse them within different subnets....

MSFC / PFC IP doesnt use route caching, so better performance than a Sup 1A for some forwarding, and some better hardware assist.

sup1a EOL - note near the end on trade ins....

formatting link
Cat6k stuff
formatting link
best practice bit (CatOS - there is a similar one for IOS somewhere on cisco.com)
formatting link
AFAIR better QoS as well, depending on s/w, line cards etc......

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.