eigrp doesn't need net mask ?

Hello there :D

Here's what bothers me,.i'm so curious about it. I found that when setting eigrp, i don't need to put network mask. Like this:

(config)#router eigrp 1 (config-router)#network 10.1.1.0

and i should perform the following command to advertise it: router(config-if)#ip summary-address eigrp 1 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0

why does eigrp work in this way ? Not using network mask on the router configuration gives some advantages ?

Reply to
jh3ang
Loading thread data ...

When no wildcard mask is specified, EIGRP simply assumes the classful mask for the specified network. However, EIGRP does allow you to specify a mask if you wish something other than the default classful mask to be used.

In your example above, even though you specified "network 10.1.1.0" you will see that the running configuration will show "network 10.0.0.0" because the classful mask got applied. The reason for the mask being optional probably traces its roots back to the IGRP protocol from which EIGRP evolved and which is a classful routing protocol.

Cisco da Gama htpp://ciscostudy.blogspot.com

Reply to
ciscodagama

You need to understand the function of the network statement.

It only tells the router on which interfaces to do eigrp. It does not influence eigrp in any other way.

int e0 ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

int e1 ip address 10.1.2.3 255.255.0.0

router eigrp 1 network 10.0.0.0 !! An exactly equivalent network statement would be network 10.1.2.3 0.0.0.0 ! ie a single host

There is exactly no difference between them.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.