Linksys GIG v's Cisco Gig

I can buy a linksys GIG Switch for about $400 while the same port density on a Cisco costs $3000

If I do not need any of the bells and whistles like VLAN's/QoS etc. can I assume the Linksys will perform at the same speeds and performance.

As Cisco have bought em I assume they were becoming a threat in some way.

G
Reply to
Gary
Loading thread data ...

No, that's not a good assumption at all; it would be false for most inexpensive gigabit switches. And unfortunately it is often quite difficult to find independant reviews that aren't just a rewriting of the advertising brochure.

Someone did point out an inexpensive linksys to me recently, for which I -was- able to find a positive independant review; it was the SD2008 (a design from a couple of years ago), and the review is at

formatting link
's pretty good considering the price, but it does *not* get gigabit at minimum packet size (which is what Cisco measures), and the latency creeps up with packet size. The SD2008 is completely unmanaged. I found a number of reviews that says that the fan on it is quite noisy and that it runs hot; one review said it ran quiet and cool, so it is possible they changed the fan design along the way.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Trying to find reviews of the SR2024 and tech sheet but there is precious little. Blurb says: The 24-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch provides non-blocking, wire speed switching

Price comarison is $400 v's $Loads for anything Gig from Cisco.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Consider the SRW2024 instead -- at least you'll get WebView so you can do some remote configuration.

The SR2024 and SRW2024 both review as having a loud fan.

Real information... hard to find. There's some nuggets here,

formatting link

I found a mid-sized thread from someone using the SRW's who couldn't get more than 300 Mbit/s throughput; no-one was able to come up with anything that helped his particular situation (whatever the actual cause was.) There was a useful resource in there,

formatting link
"Squeeze Your Gigabit NIC for Top Performance"

I skimmed over lots of other links, but the rest was just fluff or ads or people asking whether anyone knew anything about them...

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.