High CPU load on Cisco 877 and 878 while downloading

Hi,

I've this problem with a Cisco 877; if a user is downloading at maximum rate for a while, the connection goes bananas.. I can reach the cisco to reload it, but there is no more internet-access. The LEDs are as normal, except the recieve and send LED aren't blinking... I noticed the CPU-load is continues on 100% when downloading at full speed, if the download is capped, the CPU-load lowers also.

I disabled the http-management-thing and tried to remove as much from the config as possible. There's only one VPN-tunnel active on the router, but it's hardly used.

This is a 20 mbit ADSL connection while the maximum speed is 14.5 mbit. The connection trained at 20 mbit though (seen this myself at the privider).

Used IOS: c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-6.T2

The same problem exist with a 878 (also a 12.4.6 IOS). First I thought it was a provider thing but it seems not. The 877 is on another line and another provider.

I would say the continues CPU-load is causing this problem, but I'm not sure. Anyone experienced something like this?

TIA

Jos

Reply to
lemmerling
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I have recently tested performance of Cisco 876 router (which is basically the same as your 877 but for ADSL-over-ISDN) using Agilent N2X tester. My observation is that top performance of this router at small packets is roughly 6Mbps, while with large packets it could go a bit higher - slightly over 10Mbps. So this is at most half of the line rate you have.

Same with 878. I have tested 878 with QoS enabled, the performance decreases dramatically - it can't even do 2Mbps on small packets. According to Cisco performance datasheet, 870 routers can deliver upto 12.8Mbps and upto 25Kpps in ideal conditions and this values can never be exceeded, but will decrease as you add features (NAT, firewall, routing, QoS etc.)

Don't expect anything much greater in this price range of routers. I have tested also DrayTek 2800 and 2900 series routers - they're even worse. While Cisco 870 ISR routers perform much better as soon as packet size increases to 128Byte, with DrayTek packet size has to be at least 768Byte to get decent troughput.

If you use 20Mbps line, you have to get something like Cisco 1800 series router.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

I agree that this sounds like too much for an 870 however it is worth checking that there is not something amiss.

Please post:-

sh run ! < -- please sanitise.

!sh tech ipmulticast ! < -- produces a password-removed config and not ! < -- too much else if you do not have m'cast configured

!when the router is under stress sh proc cpu ! < -- first few lines.

!when it has stopped frowarding traffic sh mem ! < -- first few lines sh buff ! < -- all

Reply to
Bod43

oops, my mistake. The other router was this 876.

But thanks a lot for your clear answer. I tested a little bit yesterday and as long as I stay below 80% of CPU-usage ( around 12 mbit downloading) the router stays online.

If you want I can run the tests just to make sure. Maybe later today.

thanks,

Jos

Reply to
lemmerling

Today I called the reseller and he confirmed all this:

-the maximum routeable traffic (he used other words, but I hope you'll understand this...) is for the 800 series 12 mbit.

-if I want to use the full bandwidth, I need a 1800 series.

Anyway, thanks for your answers! Maybe I'll put the router in the freezer or something, see what happens then... ;-)

Reply to
lemmerling

BTw,if the reason why the router "did not remain online" while you were moving more data than it can handle, was that its CPU was pegged in interrupt mode, then you should be able to reconfigure it so that it can provide CPU cycles to process activity ... something like:

scheduler allocate 3000 1000

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.