isp redundancy

Hello,

I'm setting up a network between the US and a European location. At the Euro location I'd like to have 1 router (don't know which model yet) with links to 2 different ISPs for redundancy. However the Euro ISP's have already told me that I can't do BGP. Is there a another protocol that I can use to have a multihomed router in the European location that can notify the US router of any route changes? This is basically a dedicated "link" between the US and Europe. I don't need to broadcast this route change. All I need is the US router to know which IP address to send traffic to.

I have already considered using external boxes, e.g., Linux, on both ends that could signal any route changes out-of-band using a proprietary protocol. However I prefer to keep this contained within the router if at all possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
hkydan
Loading thread data ...

What you can do is set up tunnels to the router's two interfaces, and run a routing protocol over the tunnel. When one of the ISP links goes down, that tunnel will stop passing traffic and the routing protocol will switch everything over to the other tunnel.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

check out the Reliable Static Routing feature:

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

formatting link
There are a range of possible solutions, depending upon your specific requirements and sensitivities. Tunnels and object tracking are merely two of many possiblities. You need to consider what addresses your European (and US, for that matter) sites will present to the world. No BGP means that you will have two sets of public IPs in Europe, one for each ISP. This could make things confusing for the US end if you are communicating with public IPs.

Tunneling (or IPSec tunnels for security) will eliminate the multiple public IP problem, allowing you to use internal private IPs between your two sites. Using NAT may make it possible to use public IPs and survive when one link or the other goes down. There are examples of dual ISP NAT in chapter 8 of my book and a redundant VPN white paper on my web site. Whatever approach you choose, make sure you test it thoroughly. It is very easy to set up a redundant solution which fails to recover when things don't fail exactly right, or do not provide for return to normal operation after a failure has cleared.

Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

Hi

U can Load-Balancer for multihoming.One of the best solution for transparent traffic-redirection if any one ISP fails.

Radware LinkProof is the best loadbalancer for multihoming solution.no configuration changes needs to be done from ur routers.

u can check at

formatting link
me know if u have any queries.

Reply to
summi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.