ISP Redundancy Configuration

Hi guys!!!!

I'm really need your help!!!! I configured the ISP Redundancy and now I have problems with smtp traffic. I get some logs and saw that the communication between the mails server have problem to increase the ack packet, get it? For example, when the communication start we have the treewayhandshake after that the end points will be send an ack packet with data, so this packets had a number to identify each other. The problem is that these numbers of ack packets doesn't increase and the communication doesn't happen. Please someone can help me??? Thanks a lot!!! Daniel

Reply to
Daniel
Loading thread data ...

TCP A TCP B

1. CLOSED LISTEN
  2. SYN-SENT --> --> SYN-RECEIVED
  3. ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED
  4. ESTABLISHED --> --> ESTABLISHED

Basic 3-Way Handshake for Connection Synchronization

Figure 7.

In line 2 of figure 7, TCP A begins by sending a SYN segment indicating that it will use sequence numbers starting with sequence number 100. In line 3, TCP B sends a SYN and acknowledges the SYN it received from TCP A. Note that the acknowledgment field indicates TCP B is now expecting to hear sequence 101, acknowledging the SYN which occupied sequence 100.

At line 4, TCP A responds with an empty segment containing an ACK for TCP B's SYN; and in line 5, TCP A sends some data. Note that the sequence number of the segment in line 5 is the same as in line 4 because the ACK does not occupy sequence number space (if it did, we would wind up ACKing ACK's!).

formatting link
hth

Reply to
Default User

What you describe is exactly that happen! Do you have any idea how can I fix this problem? I'm working with Check Point R60 on SecurePlatform I tried applied the HFA04 but didn't work. So if you have any suggestion I'll be very thankful. Regards, Daniel

Default User escreveu:

Reply to
Daniel

What I posted is directly from RFC793 describing how the TCP connection is supposed to work. Ack sequence numbers do not and should not increment after establishing the three-way handshake, only the packet sequence number should increment.

Have you checked your logs for obvious problems? If the connection becomes established and then fails on the first data packet, that suggests that there is probably no connection being made to the SMTP server on the backend (assuming you're using a split proxy for the SMTP traffic).

Reply to
Default User

I apologize...you right. My problem is that the seq number doesn't increase. So I can establish the connection and when I try from the other place I can access the same destination. I use the telnet on port 25 to test the communication. Thanks Daniel

Default User escreveu:

Reply to
Daniel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.