Need redundancy of a /29

Hello I am quite in the trouble. I have this scenario:

WAN Link 01: 4mbit symmetric SHDSL - 1 IP address assigned (to the router) WAN Link 02: 2048/512 ADSL link - 1 IP address assigned (to the router) Protocol is RFC1483 static.

I also have a /29 range starting (fake ip) 1.1.1.208-215 default gw of the range is the 1.1.1.209

---------------

If I use a single router with both of the wan wics and one eth port, i configure as the following: ATM0.1 shdsl ip address ATM1.1 adsl ip address ETH0 - 1.1.1.209 (gw address of the /29)

Since I want to achieve redundancy of the router, as if the router dies I am completely isolated, I would like to implement a sort of HSRP.

The /29 primarily (via static routes) goes to the internet by the sHDSL link, if this link fails, it goes out (and in because it is also configured by the isp in this way) by the ADSL backup link.

How can I do ? I would like to have a router for the adsl, a router for the shdsl and a virtual ip on the "lan side" that could be the first ip of the /29,

I need explicitely that my server got on the nic the public ip address, example 1.1.1.211 - subnet .248 - gw 1.1.1.209 (that should be the virtual ip of the redundancy resulted in the router)

Consider all the router to have at least the 12.3(24) IOS they are 2650 32F/128D with one extra ethernet port as needed.

thank you

Reply to
Elia Spadoni
Loading thread data ...

take a look at Cisco doc "IOS NAT Load-balancing for Two ISP Connections"

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Hello thank you for your answer, but that is not what I need..

I have two wan links , each one with one static ip. then I have a /29..

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

Generally /29 subnets belongs to isp's, if this is the case there is no way for you to obtain redundancy because your /29 subnet will be routed only by the isp it belongs to. As soon as I know the only way to have the same subnet to be reacheable through two or more isp's is to become autonomous system and run bgp on your routers. Bye, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh

My ISP told me that since I have both links from the same IPS, i don't need to use BGP on my routers. He told me that we use static routes instead.

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

Elia Spadoni schrieb:

Perhaps you could talk your ISP into setting up an interior routing protocol with you. (OSPF or EIGRP)

HTH T.

Reply to
Tilman Schmidt
ù> My ISP told me that since I have both links from the same IPS, i don't need

Having two internet connections with the same isp isp is not best of breed, but it's better than nothing. Static routes is definetly non the solution, you need to agree with your isp for a dynamic routing protocol. Bye, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh

take a look at

Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Teorethically it's a smart idea, but since you need to have the isp router also configured for oer I doubt that any isp in Italy will agree on that, it's too out of standard for them. Bye, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh

I have found kpnqwest to do that.

I have spoken with the NOC Chief before signing the contract for the SHDSL explaining that I needed that /29 range should be router on both connection when the primary link failed.

The noc chief agreed that it should be quite simple to configure static routes, on both end of the network, also on ISP router.

"Tosh" ha scritto nel messaggio news:47db8e12$ snipped-for-privacy@newsgate.x-privat.org...

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

For sure it's simple, but is not the solution, static routes are deleted from the routing table only if the related interface goes down, what about a fault that doesn't involve a down of the interfaces or where goes down an interface at one end only? Anyway if the two cicuits are going to be terminated at the same co and maybe at the same device is the design to be poor by itself, in this scenario static routes doesn't do any significant damage. Bye, Tosh. Bye, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh

you need a dynamic routing protocol - any one will do even RIP

or you need to implement reliable static routing with object tracking

pure static routing will not suffice for all failure scenarios

If the ISP tries to tell you anything differently, then get a new ISP

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.