Injection of default routes using EIGRP

Hi everyone!

I'm having a very particular issue in which I need to inject a default route from a router running EIGRP but this router must NOT have a static default route configured. I tried using the "ip default-network" from remote routers targetting for example a loopback of my core router (which needs to distribute the default route) with no luck. Any suggestions? Some kind of "default-information originate always" =E0-la OSPF style.

Perhaps I will try and use a kind of "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 null0

250" command that would have an command with a redistribute static... In my particular case, I can allow myself to use the interface command "ip summary-address eigrp 100 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0" but the problem is that it generates a null0 route with an admin cost of 0, being prioritary over everythig else... Am I missing something?

TIA for any help!

Olivier

Reply to
olivier.martin
Loading thread data ...

Oliver if you want to send a route from the eigrp router to the core router, you may want to look at using the distribute-list command under your eigrp process. ex..distribute-list 1 out e0 . then create acl 1 to match the route you want to distribute to the router connected to e0, that is your eigrp neighbor.

Reply to
datakazam

Unfortunately in my case, the thing I need to do is inject a default route without haveing a default route being redistribute (by redistribution of whatever or by a connected neighbor with a distribution list filtering only the default path). I'm having a symmetric routing issue in which there are transparent firewalls into play and the traffic needs to be routed symmetrically for my TCP sessions to come up and other inspection to occur properly....

Reply to
olivier.martin

Where did you use "ip default-network"? On the router where you need to inject a 0/0 route?

I thought you couldn't use a static route?

I'm having a hard time following this. The summary address will generate a default route to the far side. Are you saying this is causing you grief? Perhaps a quick ascii diagram would help?

Reply to
Hansang Bae

When sending a default summary-route you must use set the admin distance to a big number The admin distance MUST be 250 or greater. Our rule is that default summaries get 255 admin distance and all other summaries use a 200 admin distance..

"ip summary-address eigrp 100 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255"

Scott

I'm having a very particular issue in which I need to inject a default route from a router running EIGRP but this router must NOT have a static default route configured. I tried using the "ip default-network" from remote routers targetting for example a loopback of my core router (which needs to distribute the default route) with no luck. Any suggestions? Some kind of "default-information originate always" à-la OSPF style.

Perhaps I will try and use a kind of "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 null0

250" command that would have an command with a redistribute static... In my particular case, I can allow myself to use the interface command "ip summary-address eigrp 100 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0" but the problem is that it generates a null0 route with an admin cost of 0, being prioritary over everythig else... Am I missing something?

TIA for any help!

Olivier

Reply to
thrill5

As someone else said an ascii-art sketch would be useful. Even naming the routers would be of help.

Maybe you have something like this:

RouterA ----- CoreRouter ----- RouterB

If you need to propagate a default route from RouterA toward the core but for RouterA to not have a default route configured:

hostname RouterA interface facing CoreRoter ip summary-address eigrp 100 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

This will ONLY be propagated toward the core and not to any other interface on RouterA. Ref.

formatting link
HTH, James

Reply to
James Harris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.