difference between redistribute static and default-information originate?

I'm having a brain fade, for the life of me I can't see any difference between the two. Except that you can turn on default-information originate before entering a static route on a router. Redistribute static should be used after the command entering a static route??

rb

Reply to
rb
Loading thread data ...

Its just different fexibility.

Ie. default originate will send out a default route through whatever dynamic routing protocol you are talking about. Thats all it does. Generally used to provide a CPE type device a default route to its upstream.

But distribute static will distribute all static routes (processed through whatever route maps you create) into the dynamic routing protocol.

Say you have a larger edge router hanging off your core that has dozens or hundreds of static routes for various subnets off to various ports. Being able to redistribute those static routes once from that edge router without having to enter each of them along the whole core would be very beneficial.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Doug McIntyre wrote: [snip]

cheers :) rb

Reply to
rb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.