HSRP on multilayer switches

I have a gigabit MAN connection between two buildings that acts like an ethernet bridge. Connected to each end of this gigaman are Catalyst

3750's. Hanging off the catalysts are a primary Host (AS/400) and a "High Availability" host which journals off the primary (one host at each physical location). With the MAN connection, these hosts appear on the same ethernet segment, so we can swap a virtual IP between the two hosts, making rollovers very easy.

Also connected to each catalyst is a checkpoint firewall which serves as the gateway device to the rest of our networks and the Internet.

So, simplified ascii connection diagram (not sure if this helps):

[LAN1][Firewall1][3750 #1][3750 #2][Firewall 2][LAN2]

Host1 is connected to 3750 #1, and host2 is connected to 3750#2.

The default gateway of the each host is currently the interface on FW1. Which works great for LAN1, but breaks for LAN2. Explanation:

Syn packet comes from LAN2 destined for host1, is evaluated by FW2 which allows the connection to host1. The Syn-Ack for lan2 is sent out the default gateway, which is FW1. FW1 never saw the initial syn, so drops the connection as "out of state".

In the current situation, the problem is easily solved by putting static routes to LAN2 on each of the hosts.

However, now, we want to add some redundant WAN links to both facilities. Preferably with automatic failover using a routing protocol (probably OSPF). This means the static routes on the hosts are no longer sufficient.

The hosts don't run OSPF, though they can run RIPv2 and we could redistribute the routes.

Alternatively, we believe we could put two routers next to the hosts that participate in the OSPF area and run HSRP to share an IP. That VIP could be the default gateway for the hosts. Then, the syn-ack will go to one of those routers which will forward it along to the appropriate firewall.

So then we go one step further, and realize those are multilayer switches. Can we have both switches run OSPF and still use HSRP?

Is this possible? Can you think of a better solution?

Thanks, Fred

Reply to
fred.damstra
Loading thread data ...

Are the devices on LAN2 not trusted?

In other words why are they behind a firewall?

Reply to
Merv

Your connection diagram seems to indicate a flat layer 2 network - in this situation you should be using vlan segmentation. Go one better and sync the firewalls, making one firewall primary, one standby and using a virtual ip for the default route on the user vlan. i.e.

1) Connect all hosts physically into the switches 2) Put all hosts in the 'user' vlan (including 1 interface on each firewall plus the virtual ip which will be the default route) 3) The firewalls should have a dedicated failover/sync vlan (most implementations require this anyway) 4) The link between switches should be a trunk carrying the user and failover vlans.

The reason this works is that all non-local traffic will be routed through the firewalls. Your current setup breaks this basic design principle.

Routing is not required, except that provided by the firewalls between vlans. No ip configuration will be needed on the switches, however if you have PIX firewalls you can use HSRP.

You then have more of a 'tree' diagram. The firewalls are one device for all intents and purposes:

Hosts -> Switch1 ->

Firewall -> whatever Hosts -> Switch2 ->

Reply to
ben.carbery

I think you're proposing exactly what I initially tried to sell to my boss. Use the Gigabit MAN connection as a trunk, and make the two firewalls into a cluster so that they share state. I like this idea, and it makes the logical topology crystal clear.

But my superiors have a problem with the physical topology. While all non-local traffic is supposed to be routed through the firewalls, they physically hit the switches first. This makes vlan-hopping a concern.

Is the rule still "Don't use vlan's as a security barrier"? Am I misunderstanding the rule? Assuming we want to segregate all areas of our networks via firewalls, having them share a common, vlan'd switch makes us a little nervous. It makes me more nervous when I realize that the Internet connections themselves end up directly connected to this switch before reaching a firewall.

Routed logically yes, but physically all traffic hits the switches before a firewall even has a chance to look at them. It seems to give the potential for badguys to bypass the firewalls if they were smart enough.

I really like this solution, but is it the right way? If I do the research and follow best practices, are vlan's secure? What if I overlook something? We're talking about having financial data headed across the switch and trunk on one vlan, while unfiltered internet traffic passes on another vlan.

Is this secure enough? I like the solution, and it has a lot of benefits. It looks to me like the right way to do it, but I'm not confident enough in its security to tell my boss "This is how it should be done." Instead, I've been looking for alternatives, which is where the HSRP on MLS question came in.

Reply to
fred.damstra

Subject AKA "Is this stupid from a security standpoint"?

I know the mantra: "Don't use VLAN's for security", but I'm clearly having trouble understanding when it applies. In the original thread (HSRP on multilayer switches), I was proposing a solution to my problem that didn't involve VLAN's, to which somebody responded, "You should be using VLAN's".

The basics: We just added a second facility and want to increase our redundancy. We have two hosts that are considered the end-all-be-all of our business, without these, we're down. We have a nice high availability configuration in place that requires they be on the same IP subnet. We have a nice high speed ethernet link between the two facilities that accomplishes this goal, but it's caused a number of issues as far as adding further redundancy to our network.

So, I have the following solution in mind. The advantages are plentiful, but we have a major concern about it: It somewhat relies on VLAN's to separate traffic before it enters the firewall.

A diagram would probably help, and ASCII is insufficient, so I threw this together:

formatting link
Let me point out a couple things: (1) The top left and top right areas are two distinct physical locations. The gigabit ethernet line between the two is all we have to work with. (2) The colored lines indicate vlan separation. Over the gigabit connection, this would be a trunk, but the other links would likely be individual fastethernet connections in a 'switchport mode access' type of setup either to other links or the firewalls. (3) This isn't everything on our network, though it shows the important stuff. We like to control access as much as we can at the firewalls. (4) The firewalls would share state over a dedicated sync vlan which isn't pictured. They'd be in a cluster configuration.

The scariest part of this diagram is that the Internet traffic coming in on one vlan would enter the same switch as the protected traffic. Additionally, we're of the opinion that you can't really trust your lan's, and they do the same thing. So if VLAN hopping is a realistic problem, both Internet and LAN traffic could conceivably bypass the firewalls.

If it can be mitigated to the point of "no known attacks", then the advantages are many. There are cost savings, and really easy ways to add further redundancy. It scales pretty well, and our single points of failure actually go down compared to most alternate solutions.

Is this a bad idea from a security standpoint? Any obvious problems I'm overlooking? Is this sound from a security, stability, and scalability point of view?

Any input would be appreciated.

Fred

Reply to
fred.damstra

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.